Robert Sheldon, Baron Sheldon
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Sheldon
|Financial Secretary to the Treasury|
17 June 1975 – 4 May 1979
|Prime Minister||Wilson, Callaghan|
|Preceded by||John Gilbert|
|Succeeded by||Nigel Lawson|
|Member of Parliament
for Ashton under Lyne
15 October 1964 – 7 June 2001
|Preceded by||Hervey Rhodes|
|Succeeded by||David Heyes|
|Born||Isaac Ezra Shamash
13 September 1923
|Spouse(s)||Mary Sheldon (first wife was Eileen Shamash deceased)|
|Children||Gillean, Terence Michael|
Sheldon came from a family of Jewish immigrants from Iraq. His father was Meir Jack Shamash and his mother was Betty Shamash. He was born Isaac Ezra Shamash until he changed his name by deed poll in 1943. He married his first cousin Eileen Shamash at the age of 21. Sheldon was educated at Burnley Grammar School, technical colleges and the University of London. He was a Manchester City Councillor and a director of a textile firm.
Sheldon first stood for Parliament at Manchester Withington in 1959. Subsequently, he was elected member of Parliament for Ashton under Lyne at the 1964 general election, serving until the 2001 general election, at which he was replaced by David Heyes. He served on the Public Accounts Committee 1965–66, holding the chairmanship 1983–1997. He was also Financial Secretary to the Treasury 1975–1979. During his tenure as the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, he was made a Privy Counsellor in 1977. He was created a life peer as Baron Sheldon, of Ashton-under-Lyne in the County of Greater Manchester on 22 June 2001. He retired from the House of Lords on 18 May 2015.
Styles of address
- 1923–1943: Mr. Isaac E. Shamash
- 1943–1964: Mr. Robert E. Sheldon
- 1964–1977: Mr. Robert E. Sheldon MP
- 1977–2001: The Right Honourable Robert E. Sheldon MP
- 2001: The Right Honourable Robert E. Sheldon
- 2001–: The Right Honourable The Lord Sheldon PC
- "no. 36197". The London Gazette. 5 October 1943. p. 4422.
- "Robert Edward (Ezra) ("Bob") Sheldon (Living, Male) & Eileen Shamash". www.farhi.org. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- The almanac of British politics p. 25 full text at Google books
- "Contributors in full". BBC News Online. 2007-11-13. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "no. 56257". The London Gazette. 27 June 2001. p. 7571.
- "Retired members of the House of Lords".
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Robert Sheldon
- Catalogue of the Sheldon papers held at LSE Archives
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Ashton under Lyne
|Financial Secretary to the Treasury
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (MP) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|