This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert M. Wald (//; born June 29, 1947 in New York City) is an American physicist who specializes in general relativity and the thermodynamics of black holes. He is the son of the mathematician and statistician Abraham Wald. Wald's parents died in a plane crash when he was three years old. He is the author of a graduate textbook, General Relativity. Wald is a professor at the Enrico Fermi Institute and the University of Chicago. Wald has taught undergraduate courses across a range of physics topics, and has been honored as a particularly effective teacher.
Wald has published over 100 research papers on general relativity and quantum field theory in curved spacetimes, many of which have been cited by hundreds of subsequent papers. He is a contributor to the framework of Algebraic Quantum Field Theory. In 1993, he described the Wald's entropy of a black hole, which is dependent simply on the area of the event horizon of the black hole.
- Wald, Robert M. (1992) . Space, Time, and Gravity: The Theory of the Big Bang and Black Holes (2nd ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-87029-4. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Wald, Robert M. (1984). General Relativity. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-87033-2.
- Wald, Robert M. (1994). Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics. Chicago Lectures in Physics. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-87027-8. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Wald, Robert M., ed. (1998). Black Holes and Relativistic Stars. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ISBN 0-226-87035-9. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Morgenstern, Oskar (1951). "Abraham Wald, 1902–1950". Econometrica. Econometrica, Vol. 19, No. 4. 19 (4): 361–367. doi:10.2307/1907462. JSTOR 1907462.
- Steele, Diana (June 12, 1997). "Graduate Teaching Award: Robert Wald". University of Chicago Chronicle. 16 (9). Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- InSpire Database http://inspirehep.net/search?p=author%3AR.M.Wald.1%20AND%20collection%3Aciteable
- "Black Hole Entropy is Noether Charge" (PDF).
- Moché, Dinah L. (May 1978). "Review of Space, Time, and Gravity by Robert M. Wald". Physics Teacher. 16 (5): 332. doi:10.1119/1.2339970.
- Robert M. Wald faculty page at the University of Chicago
- Robert Wald research articles cited by SLAC-SPIRES
- Robert Wald research articles cited by arXiv
- Some properties of Noether charge and a proposal for dynamical black hole entropy, Vivek Iyer and Robert M. Wald, Phys. Rev., D 50 (1994) 846-864 (sample research paper; cited over 250 times)
- Robert Wald at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|