Location in Wilcox County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||1.9 sq mi (4.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.9 sq mi (4.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||367 ft (112 m)|
|• Density||744.7/sq mi (288.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0321704|
Rochelle is located at (31.948993, -83.453875).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,415 people, 552 households, and 379 families residing in the city. The population density was 754.3 people per square mile (290.6/km²). There were 642 housing units at an average density of 342.3 per square mile (131.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 46.08% White, 52.79% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.35% from other races, and 0.42% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.84% of the population.
There were 552 households out of which 31.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.0% were married couples living together, 23.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 28.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the city, the population was spread out with 29.2% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 83.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,923, and the median income for a family was $27,250. Males had a median income of $26,607 versus $19,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,929. About 28.5% of families and 36.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 47.2% of those under age 18 and 26.1% of those age 65 or over.
The Wilcox County School District holds pre-school to grade twelve, and consists of one elementary school, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 90 full-time teachers and over 1,439 students.
The schools, located in Rochelle, are:
- Wilcox County Elementary School
- Wilcox County Middle School
- Wilcox County High School
- John Bahnsen - United States Army Brigadier General and decorated veteran of the Vietnam War
- Alfonzo Dennard - NFL free agent
- Nick Marshall - NFL Cornerback for Jacksonville Jaguars, Quarterback for Auburn Tigers
Joe Louis Clark - principal of Eastside High School in Paterson, New Jersey. The tough inner city school, where he practiced strict disciplinary acts to turn the school around from a troubled path
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- Wiregrass Technical College, Retrieved June 30, 2010.