Rocky Mount station
Front entrance to Rocky Mount Station.
|Location||101 Hammond Street
Rocky Mount, NC
|Owned by||City of Rocky Mount|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
Tar River Transit
|Rebuilt||1911-12, 1916, 1997-2000|
|Passengers (2013)||52,631 2.1%|
|Official name||Atlantic Coastline Railroad Station|
|Designated||June 19, 1980|
|Part of||Rocky Mount Central City Historic District|
|Reference no.||80002826, 09000659|
|Architectural style||None Specified|
Helen P. Gay Rocky Mount Historic Train Station, often shortened to Rocky Mount, is an Amtrak train station in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It is served by four passenger trains, the Carolinian, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and Palmetto. The station is located just south of downtown Rocky Mount, and the street address is 101 Hammond Street. In 2010, it was named for Helen P. Gay, a 90-year-old former member of the Rocky Mount City Council who was instrumental in the station's most recent restoration project.
Rocky Mount Station was originally built in 1893 by the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. After the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad bought the W&WR, they rebuilt the station between 1911 and 1912, and again in 1916. During the 1960s ACL built a modern structure within the station to store switches and signal equipment before the railroad was merged with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. Between 1997 and 2000 the station was restored to its early 20th century design features, with additional ADA-compliant platforms and other amenities. The former REA Express freight house is now the home of the Rocky Mount bus depot, which serves Greyhound and Tar River Transit. Two former ACL cars are on display at the freight house; "Stainless Whopper Hopper" #500,000, and the 1902-built "Office Car" #303.
The station is a contributing property to the Rocky Mount Central City Historic District.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of North Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "NPS Focus". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Community celebrates Helen Gay's birthday," by Geoffrey Cooper (Rocky Mount Telegram; Monday, March 22, 2010)
- Rocky Mount Station Improvements (NCDOT Rail)
- Pictures of ACL 303 (RR Picture Archives)
- Amtrak – Stations – Rocky Mount, NC
- Rocky Mount Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Early 20th Century Post Card
- Rocky Mount (RMT) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocky Mount (Amtrak station).|