Roller Champions is an upcoming free-to-play sports game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It is set to be released for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2021.
Roller Champions is a 3v3 competitive multiplayer sports game played from a third-person perspective. In the game, two teams of players compete against each other to earn five points within seven minutes by throwing a ball into a goal. In order to score, a player must gain possession of the ball and skate at least one lap without being interrupted by opponents. Subsequent laps can be completed by other teammates by passing the ball to them. Players can earn more points per goal by completing more laps, though their progress will be lost when they are stopped by opponents. When one team gains possession of the ball, another team must try to tackle and knock over their opponents, though such attacks can be dodged. Players gain more followers when they win a match, which will allow players to compete in matches with larger crowds. The player avatars and their gears, as well as fans’ outfits, can be freely customized with various cosmetic items.
In a developer stream, Ubisoft confirmed that the game is in development for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and mobile devices as well. The game is set to be released in early 2021.
- Makedonski, Brett (June 10, 2019). "Ubisoft's Roller Champions isn't quite fun and I'm not sure why". Destructoid. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Garcia, Janet (June 10, 2019). "Roller Champions Preview: Rollin With Some Potential". IGN. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Miller, Matt (June 11, 2019). "Roller Champions: Ubisoft's New Free-To-Play Surprises With Fast And Fun Action". Game Informer. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Kuchera, Ben (June 10, 2019). "Roller Champions is a 3-v-3 free-to-play game coming to PC". Polygon. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Hall, Charlie (May 28, 2019). "Report: Derby-style Roller Champions coming from Ubisoft, could appear at E3". Polygon. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Tarason, Dominic (June 10, 2019). "Ubisoft's Roller Champions skates into a public test". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- Nunneley, Stephany (September 10, 2020). "Roller Champions will be released in early 2021". VG247. Retrieved September 11, 2020.