Roman Empire (TV series)
|Based on||Roman Empire|
|Directed by||Richard Lopez|
John Ealer (season 2)
|Country of origin||United States |
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Original release||November 11, 2016|
Roman Empire is an American/Canadian docuseries based on historical events of the Roman Empire. The series comprises two miniseries:
Season One: "Reign of Blood" is a six-part story of Commodus. Jeremiah Murphy and Peter Sherman collaborated on writing the first season, with Richard Lopez directing. It premiered on Netflix on November 11, 2016. Season Two: "Master of Rome" is a five-part story of the rise of Julius Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic. It premiered on July 27, 2018.
The series was produced by Netflix as a "Netflix Original" series.
Historical people and events
"Reign of Blood"
- Commodus was Roman Emperor from 180 to 192. He also ruled as co-emperor with his father Marcus Aurelius from 177 until his father's death in 180.
- Marcus Aurelius was Roman Emperor from 161 to 180. He ruled with Lucius Verus as co-emperor from 161 until Verus' death in 169. Marcus Aurelius was the last of the so-called Five Good Emperors. He was a practitioner of Stoicism, and his Greek-language writing, commonly known as the Meditations, is the most significant source of the modern understanding of ancient Stoic philosophy.
- Faustina the Younger was a daughter of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius. She was a Roman Empress and wife to her maternal cousin Marcus Aurelius. Though Roman sources give a generally negative view of her character, she was held in high esteem by soldiers and her own husband and was given divine honors after her death.
- Lucilla was the second daughter and third child of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius and an elder sister to future Roman Emperor Commodus.
- Avidius Cassius was a Roman general and usurper who briefly ruled Egypt and Syria in 175.
"Master of Rome"
"Reign of Blood"
- Sean Bean as Narrator
- Aaron Jakubenko as Commodus
- Ella Becroft as Bruttia Crispina
- Edwin Wright as Cassius Dio
- Genevieve Aitken as Marcia
- Jared Turner as Cleander
- John Bach as Marcus Aurelius
- Tai Berdinner-Blades as Lucilla
- Mike Edward as Narcissus (wrestler)
"Master of Rome"
- Steve West as Narrator
- Ditch Davey as Julius Caesar
- Tim Carlsen as Mark Antony
- Natalie Medlock as Servilia
- Ben Black as Brutus
- Stephen Lovatt as Pompey
- Wesley Dowdell as Crassus
- Andrew Robertt as Cato
- Taylor Hall as Young Caesar
- Jessica Green as Cleopatra
- Errol Shand as Vercingetorix
- Phoenix Connelly as Julia
Season One: Reign of Blood (all airing on November 11, 2016)
Ep 1: "Born in the Purple"
Ep 2: "The Making of an Emperor"
Ep 3: "Enemy of the Senate"
Ep 4: "Rome is Burning"
Ep 5: "Fight for Glory"
Ep 6: "14 Days of Blood"
Season Two: Master of Rome (all airing on July 27, 2018)
Ep 1: The Triumvirate
Ep 2: The Great Conqueror
Ep 3: Crossing the Rubicon
Ep 4: Queen of the Nile
Ep 5: The Ides of March
- Gladiator, a fictionalized telling of the life of Commodus.
- The Fall of the Roman Empire, another fictionalized telling of the life of Commodus.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (11 November 2016). "Roman Empire: Reign of Blood is an Uncensored Look at Ancient History". The Decider.
- Robinson, Joanna; Lawson, Richard (25 October 2016). "What's New on Netflix in November—and What to Watch Before It Disappears". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Roman Empire | Netflix Official Site". www.netflix.com. Retrieved 2018-07-28.
- "Bruttia Crispina". TV Maze. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- O'Keefe, Meghan (15 November 2016). "'Roman Empire: Reign of Blood': Who was the Real Lucilla?". The Decider. Retrieved 20 November 2016.