Rome Township, Lawrence County, Ohio
|Rome Township, Lawrence County, Ohio|
Location of Rome Township in Lawrence County
|• Total||34.0 sq mi (88.1 km2)|
|• Land||33.7 sq mi (87.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||784 ft (239 m)|
|• Density||257.6/sq mi (99.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086446|
Rome Township is one of the fourteen townships of Lawrence County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 8,694 people in the township, 8,366 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Guyan Township, Gallia County - north
- Union Township - southwest
- Windsor Township - west
- Mason Township - northwest corner
It is the farthest upstream of Lawrence County's Ohio River townships.
Athalia, the second-smallest village in Lawrence County, is located midway along Rome Township's shoreline.
Name and history
Statewide, other Rome Townships are located in Ashtabula and Athens counties. It was named Rome because of the seven hills that converge at LaBelle as the hills of Rome on the Tiber. The original Rome Beauty apple tree was grafted in Rome Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Lawrence County, Ohio: Township Index
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.