Lim at WonderCon 2013
1965 (age 52–53)
Silver Surfer (vol. 3)|
Ronald "Ron" Lim (born 1965) is an American comic book artist living in Sacramento, California. He is best known for his work for Marvel Comics on their various "cosmic" titles, most particularly the Silver Surfer (vol. 3) series.
His first published work was for the independent comic book title Ex-Mutants, which he worked on from 1986 to 1988.
He was "discovered" by Marvel at a 1987 comic convention, and was hired on the spot. Lim penciled the Silver Surfer (vol. 3) series for almost six years (1988–94). He also penciled most of the "Infinity" trilogy of large-scale crossover limited series which Marvel published in the early 1990s—Infinity Gauntlet (1991), Infinity War (1992), and Infinity Crusade (1993). He returned to these characters to pencil the Thanos series in 2004.
He was also a regular artist on Captain America in 1990–1991, while he was also working regularly on Silver Surfer. Other Marvel series he worked on during the 1990s include X-Men 2099 (1993), Spider-Man Unlimited, Dragon Lines (1993), and Venom: Lethal Protector (1993).
While Lim primarily worked at Marvel, he also worked at DC for a time in the late 1990s, providing art for the third and final year of Chris Claremont's Sovereign Seven series. He also provided cover art & fill-in interiors for series like Hawkman, Green Lantern (vol.3) and Flash (vol. 2).
Lim returned to Marvel in the 2000s illustrating several series associated with Marvel & Tom DeFalco's MC2 imprint, including Avengers Next, J2 and the Fantastic Five. He contributed art in 2007 to the comic adaptation of Laurell K. Hamilton's Guilty Pleasures, and since 2016 has been regularly providing variant covers for various Marvel one-shots, mini-series and event comics.
Interior pencil art on:
- Flash (vol. 2) Flash 80-Page Giant #2, 163
- Green Lantern (vol. 3) #65,112, 127
- Rann/Thanagar: Holy War #1-8
- Sovereign 7 #22-36
- Stormwatch #27-29, 1995
- Cable Deadpool #29, 39, 43-44, 47
- Captain America (vol. 1) #366, 368-378, 380-386
- Conan The Barbarian (vol. 1) #232-235
- Daredevil (vol. 1) #258
- Excalibur #8, 20, 26
- Fantastic Five (vol. 2) mini-series 2007
- Fantastic Four (vol. 2) #11, 12. 1997
- Generation X #68, 73, 75
- Infinity Gauntlet #4-6
- Infinity War #1-6
- Infinity Crusade #1-6
- Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #1-4
- J2 #1-12, 1998–99
- Mutant X #26, 28, 30-32
- Silver Surfer Volume 3 #15-20, 22-31, 33-38, 40-57, 60-65, 73-82, 89, 91, 92
- Silver Surfer / Superman 1-shot, 1996
- Skaar: Son of Hulk #8
- Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus mini-series
- Spider-Man Unlimited (vol. 1) #1-9
- Thanos Quest #1-2
- Thanos #7-12
- Venom: Lethal Protector #4-6 (1993)
- What If...? (vol. 2) #6, 14, 22
- Wild Thing mini-series, 1999
- X-Men 2099 #1-31
- X-Men Unlimited #27, 28
- Xena & Joxer #1-3 mini-series
- Xena and the Original Olympics #1-3 mini-series
- Lim entry, "Lim" to "Limura," Michigan State University Libraries, Special Collections Division, Reading Room Index to the Comic Art Collection.
- Lin, Sam Chu. "Asians Fulfill Fantasies As Comic Book Artists," Asian Week (17 June 1988), p. 12.
- Ron Lim at the Grand Comics Database
- Ron Lim at the Comic Book DB
- Ron Lim on Marvel.com
- Official website
- Artwork Gallery from Comic Art Fans
This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)