May 15, 1967 |
|Occupation||Voice actor, actor, comic-impressionist, comedy writer|
|Agent||The Characters Talent Agency|
Life and career
Pardo was raised in Pardoville, Ontario (named after his ancestors), a small farming hamlet near Chatham. He went to school in nearby Blenheim and later studied radio and television at Ryerson University in Toronto, followed by working on-air and as a copywriter at CFCO Radio. Pardo later attended the University of Western Ontario in London to study education, and worked as a teacher for a few years in Cambridge, Ontario.
He realized early on that he had a talent for mimicry, first of cartoon characters and later of celebrities. In 1993 he decided to see if he could make a career of comedy and in 1995 he resigned his teaching position, having won Yuk Yuk's Search for Canada's Funniest New Comic Award. He headlined at comedy clubs and corporate events for several years.
In 1997, Pardo came to the attention of former Frantic Rick Green, who hired Ron to perform his characters for the pilot of Rick's new show History Bites. Pardo starred on the show for five seasons, plus several specials, receiving ensemble cast Gemini Award nominations in 2000, 2005, and 2008.
Pardo provides the voice of Cap'n Turbot in PAW Patrol, Maxum Man in Sidekick, Newton in later episodes of Ned's Newt, and Rupert McKenzie in Bob & Doug, for which he received a 2010 ACTRA outstanding voice performance nomination.
He also voices the title character "Quest" in the Teletoon animated TV series World of Quest, along with the voice of his sidekick, Graer. Pardo plays many characters, such as Hal-G, in the Spin Master animated series Bakugan Battle Brawlers.
Awards and nominations
|2000||15th Gemini Awards||Best Performance or Host in a Variety Program or Series||History Bites||Nominated|
|2005||20th Gemini Awards||Best Ensemble Performance in a Comedy Program or Series||History Bites||Nominated|
|2008||23rd Gemini Awards||Best Performance or Host in a Variety Program or Series||History Bites||Nominated|
|2010||ACTRA Award||Outstanding Performance – Voice||Bob & Doug||Nominated|
- "History Bites Cast - Ron Pardo". HistoryBites.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2005. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "ACTRA Magazine Spring 2010: Page 21" (PDF). ACTRAToronto.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Ron Pardo - Academy.ca". Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television. Archived from the original on March 25, 2016.
- "The 20th Annual Gemini Awards" (PDF). GeminiAwards.ca. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 23, 2005.
- "Nominees in major categories for the 23rd Gemini Awards". The Toronto Star. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "PAW Patrol Cast - Zap2it". Zap2it. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- "TV Guide: PAW Patrol Cast". TV Guide. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- "Actors up for ACTRA Awards - CBC News". CBC.ca. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Ron Pardo lends a thousand voices to World of Quest". Mania from Demand Media. Archived from the original on June 16, 2012.
- "ACTRA Toronto Performers Conference" (PDF). ACTRAToronto.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.