Roni Ben Ari
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (March 2019)
Roni Ben Ari
|Born||1947 (age 71–72)|
Ramat Gan, Israel
|Alma mater||Beit Berl Academic College|
Early life and education
Roni Ben Ari born 1947 in Ramat Gan to Miriam and Abraham Halpern, a textile industrialist (Halpern Textile Industries). Today she lives in Moshav Netaim, with her husband, Danny (Daniel) Ben Ari (son of Mira Ben Ari). They have three daughters. Her sister, Nurit Neustadt-Noy Ph.D., is married to the famous Israeli writer Isaac Noy. Ben Ari is a graduate of the Beit Berl Academic College, the School of Journalism in Tel Aviv, and the College for Geographic Photography.
She worked as a news director and reporter at the Israel Broadcasting Authority, Educational Television, and Channel Two. In recent years she has been working as an independent photographer. Her work has been exhibited in solo and in group exhibitions in Israel and around the world and it can be found in museums as well as in private collections. Among the subjects Ben Ari has investigated is the Israeli heroine. Mira Ben Ari—an exemplary figure who became the symbol of the Women's Corp of the Israel Defense Forces and for women in general—who was killed in the battle of Kibbutz Nitzanim during Israel’s War of Independence. The educational and heritage center at the Memorial to the Female Soldier, (located in old Nitzanim), was established in tribute to her spirit and legacy. Ben Ari is a founder and partner in the Bateva School educational program, a growing mainstreaming program that prepares children and youth with complicated learning disabilities for independent integration into society. She is also a shareholder in the Elyakim Ben Ari Company, a civil engineering company that executes national projects in Israel.
Ben Ari uses her photography to document social issues such as aging, homelessness, prostitution, minorities, and ecology. She mainly photographs people, but also their surrounding environment. Before she photographs them, Ben Ari first becomes close to her subjects by living with them. For example, the photographs for her project, Journey in Search of "Țigancă", were taken only after she had been living among the Romani for about a year. She began the project after the death of her mother who was born in Cluj-Napoka, Romania, a city that has historically had a large gypsy minority. In the project Till Their Voices Stop, Ben Ari lived in a nursing home. There, she photographed the fragile, elderly residents and recorded their voices, which she developed into in a video installation that was exhibited in the gallery of the College for Geographic Photography.
Photography is often associated with the term "to take" as in "to take a picture." Roni's photography does not take. In Roni's photography, the act of giving is so present that she hears the voices, is aware of the needs, touches the textures and thus brings the viewer closer. We all benefit from this closeness. This closeness is not perceived as an invasion of someone else's territory, but rather as the act of acceptance, of giving.
- BLACK & WHITE magazine, single Image Contest 2018
- Magnum Photography Awards 2017 – top 7% of all entries, impressive accomplishment 
- The 5th Edition of the Jacob Riis for documentary Award, 2017
- UNESCO Prize for Art and Society, honorable mention, 2017
- Worldwide Photograph Gala Awards, first prize, Portrait Photography Category, 2013
- China Digital Photography Museum of Lishui, prize for Processed Photograph, 2011
- Julia Margaret Cameron Prize, Portrait Photography Category, 2011
- UNESCO Humanity Photo Award, 2008
- Ziv Prize for Television Journalism, 1988
- Ben Ari is the honorary ambassador in Israel for the Romani Community, a title she received personally from the King of the Roma, Dorin Cioabă, following an exhibition of her photographs depicting gypsy daily life
- Father -Loom- Requiem (2012) ISBN 978-965-92637-4-5
- From the inner margins (2013) ISBN 978-965-92637-5-2
- Ladies in waiting (2017) ISBN 978-965-92637-0-7
- Ethiopia here (2017) ISBN 978-965-92637-1-4
- Faces (2017) ISBN 978-965-92637-2-1
- Ocean of garbage (2017) ISBN 978-965-92637-3-8
Lag Be-Omer Ceremony, Mount Meiron, Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv
City Project, Kibbutz Gallery, Tel Aviv
Love Conquers, Kibbutz Gallery, Tel Aviv
Solo exhibition, Until Their Voices Stopped, Gallery of the College for Geographic Photography, Tel Aviv
Permanent solo exhibition, Ethiopia Here, The Story of the Ethiopian Community, photos embedded on 12 concrete pillars, Park of the Communities, Petah Tikva
Light, FusionArts Museum, New York, NY
Border between Two Cities, Museum of Jaffa
Artists Create and book launch for Israeli Artists Book, Sand Horses Gallery, Paris
Culture of the Kiosk/Gift of Memory, 53rd Biennale (Marx 7), Scalamata Gallery, Venice, Italy
Memoir L'avenir, Head Museum, Paris, France
Inside Israel, traveling exhibition in China commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the State of Israel, Museum of the Three Kings, Chunching, China
City of Refuge, Tel Aviv Biennale of Art, Hangar 2, Jaffa Port, Tel Aviv
Photography about Painting, Galerie Mémoire de L’avenir, Paris, France
Two-person exhibition, Ma'agalot , Office in Tel Aviv (Alternative space for interdisciplinary art), Tel Aviv
Echo Phobia Art, Drap-Art Festival, Nakba Museum/CCCB Barcelona, Spain
Wabi Sabi, "Love Art Make Art", Studio and Gallery, Tel Aviv
Mapping, 54th Biennale, Gallery Living Art Gallery, Venice, Italy
Black, Fusion Arts Museum, New York, NY
Solo exhibition, Loom-Father-Requiem, Galerie Vernon, Prague, Czech Republic
Dance Signs, Tina B. Fest, Prague, Czech Republic
Solo exhibition, Sea of Garbage, video work, screened on Mani House, Tel Aviv
I Was There, Water Tower Art Fest, Sofia, Bulgaria
Transformation, Hallway Gallery, Documenta 2012, Kassel, Germany
"At your place", Roof Gallery, Duisburg, Germany
Rainbow in a Sea of Garbage, Gask Museum of Contemporary Art, Kutná Hora, Czech Republic
My Eye/I, 92nd Street Y, New York, NY
Adama, Second Biennale for Sculpture and Photography, Moshe Kastel Museum, Jerusalem
Solo exhibition, Journey in Search of “Țigancă, Museum of Israeli Art, Ramat Gan
Adama, Gallery of the Ahmedabad and Baroda University and National Gallery of Mumbai, India
I Live in the East and My Heart Is in the West, Fifty Years of Israel-German Relations, Passanger Fabrik, Munich, Germany
Solo exhibition, Drawing in Stone, Artists House, Munich, Germany
Solo exhibition, Micro Macro, Pardes Festival, Kazmierz Dolny, Poland
Tower of Babel, Schema Projects, Brooklyn, NY
UNESCO –Art & Society, Solo exhibition at the World Humanities Conference. Bruges, Belgium
Bosom Bodies, SIA Gallery, NYC
Solo exhibition, The International Photography Festival of PHOTO IS: RAEL
Memory of the Future gallery, "can I call you madam?", Paris, France
Cuckoo's Nest gallery, "Beyond the mind", Jaffa, Israel
- "Tell Danny he had a mother". haaretz.com. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- ronibenari1 (2013-11-05), ערוץ 10 ריאיון 31 10 13, retrieved 2019-02-14
- "44 DEGREES 2015 No subject". Issuu. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- ronibenari1 (2011-02-27), רוני בן ארי, עד כלות קולם,Roni Ben Ari, Till their voices stop, retrieved 2019-02-14
- "Drawing Stone by Roni Ben Ari | Black & White Magazine | For Collectors of Fine Photography". Black & White. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- Collotype, Benrido (9 August 2017). "HARIBAN AWARD 2017 – Shortlist". Benrido, Contemporary Collotype, Hariban Award, Collotype Photo Competition (in Japanese). Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "The 5th Jacob Riis Editorial Award". The Photography Gala Awards. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "King of the Roma visits Israel". Ynetnews. 2015-07-05. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "הספרייה הלאומית - נול, אבא, רקוויאם / רוני בן ארי ; צילום: רוני בן ארי ; [מאמרים]: רוני בן ארי, ד"ר יצחק נוי". beta.nli.org.il (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "From the inner margins / Roni ben Ari". merhav.nli.org.il. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "Ladies in waiting / Roni Ben Ari". merhav.nli.org.il. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "ethiopia". merhav.nli.org.il. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "Faces / Roni Ben Ari". merhav.nli.org.il. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "faces". merhav.nli.org.il. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "Office in Tel Aviv Gallery - project 114 - Irit Segal Israeli & Roni Ben-Ari". www.officeintelavivgallery.com. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "TV news report about DRAP-ART Barcelona 2012". Vimeo. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "וואבי סאבי". www.artbeat.co.il. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Vernon Gallery, Prague: LOOM | FATHER | REQUIEM". ArtClue. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- "Video, solo screening on LEUMI Mani Building 2012". Vimeo. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- "WATER TOWER ART FEST". WATER TOWER ART FEST. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- ""Montzi" exhibition in Cluj-Napoca, National Art Museum".
- petravalentova (2013-07-15). "Spectrum, the power of colors – Petra Valentova at Tina B., GASK, Kutna Hora". Petra (Gupta) Valentová. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Culturel, Service (27 October 2014). "Les photographes Roni Ben Ari et Meir Rakocz à la Galerie Mémoire de l'Avenir "". ” coolisrael.fr (in French). Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- i24NEWS (2014-11-13), Culture – 11/12/2014, retrieved 2017-12-10
- "Zwischen den Streifen – Between the Lines – haGalil". haGalil (in German). 2014-04-23. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Woven Consciousness". www.eretzmuseum.org.il. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Woven Consciousness Eretz Israel Museum 2014". Vimeo. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- i24NEWS (2015-05-13), Culture – 05/13/2015, retrieved 2017-12-10
- "Adama exhibition India". Vimeo. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Ich lebe im Osten aber mein Herz ist im Westen – haGalil". haGalil (in German). 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Roni Ben-Ari Photography – Drawing in Stone". Münchner Künstlerhaus (in German). Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "15th international triennale of tapestry 2016, textile Museum, Lodz | Roni Ben Ari, Photographer - רוני בן ארי, צלמת". www.ronibenari.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Roni Ben-Ari. Krosno, ojciec, requiem". cojestgrane24.wyborcza.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- 15 Międzynarodowe Triennale Tkaniny, Łódź 2016 : Centralne Muzeum Włókiennictwa : 9.05.-30.10.2016 = 15 International Triennial of Tapestry, Łódź 2016 : Central Museum of Textiles 9.05. - 30.10.2016. Oko, Marcin., Piwońska, Jolanta., Ziemnicka-Darnowska, Barbara., Wróblewska-Markiewicz, Małgorzata., Centralne Muzeum Włókiennictwa (Łódź)., Biuro Tłumaczeń Specjalistycznych ArcusLink. Łódź: Centralne Muzeum Włókiennictwa. 2016. ISBN 9788360146583. OCLC 958215193.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "LODZ "PARDES FESTIVAL" Anna Dąbrowicz on Roni Bn Ari / Centralne Muzeum | Roni Ben Ari, Photographer - רוני בן ארי, צלמת". www.ronibenari.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Schema Projects – Tower of Babel". schemaprojects.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Visura 2017 – book signing – of "Ladies in Waiting", NY".
- ARTBAVA. "Roni Ben Ari 사진전 : Ladies in Waiting". ARTBAVA 아트바바 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-12-10.
- KOYAMA, Junichiro (2007). "ISSN (International Standard Serial Number), ISSN Network and Japanese National Centre for ISSN". Journal of Information Processing and Management. 50 (3): 144–154. doi:10.1241/johokanri.50.144. ISSN 0021-7298.
- "Roni BEN ARI – Arts and Society" (in French). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Bosom Bodies: An Art Exhibition in Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness". bosombodies.blogspot.co.il. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Photography Museum, DIPF, 2017 the 16th DongGang International Photo Festival, Korea | Roni Ben Ari, Photographer - רוני בן ארי, צלמת". www.ronibenari.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "dipf2018". dipf2018 (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Laugh Away | רוני בן ארי". PHOTO IS:RAEL (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Athens Photo Festival". Athens Photo Festival. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Mémoire de l'Avenir". www.memoire-a-venir.org. Retrieved 2019-02-12.