|Traded as||NYSE: RKUS|
|Products||Hardware, software, and services to telecommunications service providers and enterprises|
|Revenue||$373 million (2015)|
Number of employees
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ruckus Wireless, Inc. was a company selling wireless systems for mobile devices, headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. Ruckus offers Wi-Fi products to mobile carriers, broadband service providers, and corporate enterprises.
Ruckus invented and has patented wireless voice, video, and data technology, such as adaptive antenna arrays that extend signal range, increase client data rates, and avoid interference, providing distribution of delay-sensitive multimedia content and services over standard 802.11 Wi-Fi.
On April 4, 2016, Brocade Communications Systems announced that it was acquiring Ruckus Wireless for approximately $1.5 billion. After Brocade was acquired by Broadcom Limited. it was acquired by the Arris Group for $800 million in 2017.
Ruckus was founded in 2004 by William Kish and Victor Shtrom. Sequoia Capital, WK Technology Fund, and Sutter Hill Ventures initially funded the company. Ruckus was publicly listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol RKUS.
In 2015, Ruckus Wireless became the first Wi-Fi vendor to introduce an 802.11ac Wave 2 access point with the ZoneFlex R710. The R710 is capable of supporting twice the density of mobile devices over Wave 1 access points.
The acquisition by Brocade in a cash and stock deal worth about $1.5 billion is meant to add Ruckus’s Wi-Fi products to Brocade's enterprise networking business.
Ruckus designed an adaptive directional antenna technology called BeamFlex. The company first sold the technology to other manufacturers to enable them to include it in their products. Ruckus also came out with a Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) device that was sold to service providers.
Ruckus offers indoor and outdoor access points in several price ranges. BeamFlex is at the core of Ruckus’ ZoneFlex APs with its directional antenna technology. This technology automatically adjusts to changes in the Radio Frequency (RF) environment providing stronger signals. Beamforming has now been integrated into the latest version of the 802.11 standard and 802.11ac. Other products that Ruckus offers include controllers, software, and smart wireless services.
Ruckus offers Wi-Fi branded products such as indoor and outdoor wireless access points and wireless controllers all sold under the brand name.
Ruckus offers wireless access points that can support up to 500 simultaneous connections on a single node. In 2007, Ruckus launched ZoneFlex, a centrally managed WLAN platform for enterprises and carriers.
Ruckus offers two different controllers: ZoneDirector geared for smaller, single-site deployments and SmartZone directed at carrier and large, multi-site enterprise deployments. SmartZone can be delivered as both a virtual and physical appliance.
Ruckus Wireless provides software-products to accompany their hardware. They offer the FlexMaster, SmartCell Insight, Ruckus ZonePlanner, and Ruckus Mobile Applications.
The Ruckus FlexMaster Management System (9.0) is a Linux-based managed service platform for configuration, fault detection, audit, performance management and optimization of hundreds of thousands of remote Smart Wi-Fi APs or Smart Wireless LANs (WLANs) from a single point.
The Ruckus SmartCell Insight collects and correlates Wi-Fi performance metrics into 19 available reports, has do it yourself analytics using customer reports, long term retention, and software only solution residing on a Linux server using CENTOS/RHEL OS.
The Ruckus ZonePlanner is a Smart Wi-Fi RF simulation. It integrates Ruckus’ adaptive antenna patterns.
Ruckus mobile applications
Ruckus Wireless has mobile applications called Ruckus SpeedFlex, Ruckus ZD Remote Control, and Ruckus SWIPE.
Ruckus Wireless provides its customers with location-based services.
Ruckus relies heavily on its enterprise business, as it is two-thirds of their revenue with almost 100% of enterprise sales coming from the channel. Many of these enterprises include hospitality, retail, healthcare, transportation hubs, and education.
Ruckus Wireless started out by selling to carrier companies and they are still a good portion of their business. Their customers include Verizon, AT&T, Time Warner Cable, Deutsche Telekom, and China Telecom. One-third of Ruckus’ business is selling to carrier businesses.
Xclaim Wireless was launched by Ruckus in 2014 as a new division aimed at small businesses. Xclaim Wireless provides a product portfolio designed for enterprise-class features at consumer-level prices.
- "Ruckus Income Statement - Annual". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- Investor's Business Daily, Ruckus Wireless Reaches New Heights With Wi-Fi Tech, Nasdaq, Sept. 10, 2014,http://www.nasdaq.com/article/ruckus-wireless-reaches-new-heights-with-wi-fi-tech-cm389517, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- John Cox, Wi-Fi,smart antennas power new carrier gear from Ruckus Wireless, NETWORKWORLD, Oct. 18, 2010,http://www.networkworld.com/article/2192096/wireless/wi-fi--smart-antennas-power-new-carrier-gear-from-ruckus-wireless.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- "Arris slaps down US$800m to buy Brocade's wireless bits". The Register. February 23, 2017. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "ARRIS to Acquire Ruckus Wireless and ICX Switch Business for $800 Million in Cash". Arris official website (Press release). Arris. February 22, 2017. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Peter Delevett, From fizz to fizzle: Ruckus Wireless plummets 18 percent in IPO, San Jose Mercury News, Nov.16, 2012, http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22012492/from-fizz-fizzle-ruckus-wireless-plummets-18-percent, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Jon Gold, Ruckus first to roll out enterprise 802.11ac Wave 2 AP, NETWORKWORLD, April 2, 2015, http://www.networkworld.com/article/2904851/wireless/ruckus-first-to-roll-out-enterprise-802-11ac-wave-2-ap.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- "Brocade to buy Ruckus Wireless in $1.5 billion deal". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- Craig Mathias, Ruckus Introduces Beamforming for 802.11n, NETWORKWORLD, March 9, 2009,http://www.networkworld.com/article/2234791/ruckus-introduces-beamforming-for-802-11n.html, retrieved July 27, 2015
- WLAN Infrastructure, Infonetics Research, July 6, 2015, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Paul Mah, Ruckus Wi-Fi Access Points for Your Small Business, CIO, Jan. 31, 2013, http://www.cio.com/article/2388827/wireless-networking/review--ruckus-wi-fi-access-points-for-your-small-business.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- John Cox, Ruckus Wireless unveils 11n Wi-Fi gear for net operators, NETWORKWORLD, Feb. 26, 2008, http://www.networkworld.com/article/2283816/network-security/ruckus-wireless-unveils-11n-wi-fi-gear-for-net-operators.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Shamila Janakiraman, Ruckus Launches Virtual SmartCell Gateway Carrier-Class Virtualized WLAN Controller, NFVZONE, May 27, 2014,http://www.nfvzone.com/topics/nfv/articles/379710-ruckus-launches-virtual-smartcell-gateway-carrier-class-virtualized.htm, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Brian Young, Ruckus Wireless Introduces ZonePlanner-WLAN, F.BUSINESS, July 26, 2010, http://www.firstpost.com/business/biztech/business-tech/it-infrastructure/ruckus-wireless-introduces-zoneplanner-wlan-1878809.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Nathan Eddy, Ruckus Wireless Launches Smart WiFi Mobile Application, eWEEK, Sept. 9, 2014, http://www.eweek.com/small-business/ruckus-wireless-launches-smart-wifi-mobile-application.html, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Mark Haranas, CRN Exclusive: Ruckus CEO Talks Winning Over Aruba Partners, New Juniper Partnership And Channel Push, CRN, June 25, 2015,http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/networking/300077266/crn-exclusive-ruckus-ceo-talks-winning-over-aruba-partners-new-juniper-partnership-and-channel-push.htm/pgno/0/10, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Mark Haranas, CRN Exclusive: Ruckus CEO Talks Winning Over Aruba Partners, New Juniper Partnership And Channel Push, CRN, June 25, 2015, http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/networking/300077266/crn-exclusive-ruckus-ceo-talks-winning-over-aruba-partners-new-juniper-partnership-and-channel-push.htm/pgno/0/10, Retrieved July 27, 2015
- Kristen Bent, Ruckus Wireless Targets SMB Market With New 'Xclaim' Brand, Go-To-Market Model, CRN, Oct. 29, 2014,http://www.crn.com/news/networking/300074620/ruckus-wireless-targets-smb-market-with-new-xclaim-brand-go-to-market-model.htm, Retrieved July 27, 2015