Rupert Matthews (politician)
Matthews was educated at Esher Grammar School and worked as a freelance writer and journalist. He has written over 200 books on history, ghosts, cryptozoology, UFOs, paranormal activity, guides to the UK and children's stories. Matthews is the editorial director and a shareholder of Bretwalda Books.
On 12 October 2011 MEP for the East Midlands region Roger Helmer, announced that he would resign from the European Parliament at the end of the year. Helmer expected to be replaced by Matthews who had been next on the Conservative party list in the East Midlands.
However, after there was uncertainty whether the Conservative Party would approve Matthews as the new MEP, Helmer announced he would delay standing down until the position was clarified and Matthews confirmed as his successor. The Tory party was reported to be looking into golliwog dolls featuring on the front cover of a book on political correctness published by Bretwalda Books. It was later revealed that Rupert was not personally involved in publishing the book. In March 2012 Helmer defected to UKIP and it was reported he would remain MEP until 2014.
For the 2014 European Parliament election he was again placed third on the Conservative party list for the East Midlands.
In 2014, Matthews took up position as National Campaigns Director at Better Off Out. He led Better Off Out's campaign for Britain to Leave the European Union, liaising with the official campaign (Vote Leave) as well as with Leave.EU and Grassroots Out. During this time Matthews supervised the production of leaflets, posters and other campaign materials as well as organising their distribution to the public in the run up to the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016 on 23 June 2016.
Matthews has been described as "a sceptic over the EU, but on precious little else". Reportedly he thinks the Lisbon Treaty could enable the European Commission to invade Britain should the country ever attempt to leave the European Union, or to request a German panzer (tank) division be sent to London if the situation should warrant it.
- Monster Mysteries with Bernard Long (Hove, Wayland, 1988 ISBN 1-85210-354-X)
- The First Settlements with Bernard Long (Hove, Wayland, 1990 ISBN 1-85210-769-3)
- Alien Encounters (Chartwell Books, Inc., 2009 ISBN 978-0-7858-2355-1)
- Chris Cook "Paranormal expert set to become Tory MEP", Financial Times, 28 October 2011
- Times Guide to the House of Commons, 1997
- International Metaphysical University page; includes a comprehensive list of books by Matthews currently in print.
- Michael Crick "Unconventional Tory and his paranormal activities", Channel 4 News, 24 January 2012
- Council Election 1998 Surrey Comet 9 May 1998
- Barrett, Matthew (12 October 2011). "Roger Helmer MEP to resign from the European Parliament". ConservativeHome.
- "Conservative MEP Roger Helmer delays resignation" BBC 31 December 2011
- "Conservative MEP Roger Helmer joins UKIP". BBC News. 3 March 2012.
- "Golly! Ghostbuster UK MEP may not be coming to Brussels" New Europe
- 'Bagehot' "The newest Conservative member of the European Parliament, and his fears of German invasion ", The Economist, 14 October 2011