Ruth Stella Correa Palacio
Ruth Stella Correa Palacio
|8th Minister of Justice and Law of Colombia|
12 July 2012 – 13 September 2013
|President||Juan Manuel Santos Calderón|
|Preceded by||Juan Carlos Esguerra Portocarrero|
|Succeeded by||Alfonso Gómez Méndez|
|Magistrate of the Council of State of Colombia|
8 October 2004 – 12 July 2012
|Born||13 November 1959|
Pereira, Risaralda, Colombia
|Alma mater||Free University of Colombia (LLB, 1982)|
A Law and Political Sciences graduate of the Free University of Colombia at Pereira in 1982, she pursued postgraduate studies in Labour Law and Industrial Relations in 1990 at the Externado University, with additional training studies in State Administration at the Pontifical Xavierian University in 1996, and in University Teaching at Saint Thomas Aquinas University in 2000.
Right off college, she was appointed First Civil Municipal Judge of Santa Rosa de Cabal on 1 September 1983. From then on she rose through the judiciary being appointed First Labour Judge for the Pereira Circuit 1985, then Secretary of the Third Division of the Council of State in 1991, Auxiliary Magistrate of the Third Division of the Council of State in 1998, and finally Magistrate of the Council of State in the Third Division. As a prosecutor she worked for the Office of the Inspector General assigned to the Third Division of the Council of State from 1998 to 2001, and in private practice from 2001 to 2004.
Minister of Justice
On 6 July 2012 President Juan Manuel Santos Calderón announced the appointment of Correa as Minister of Justice and Law. Correa was sworn in on 12 July 2012 by President Santos in a ceremony at the Palace of Nariño. Correa replaced Juan Carlos Esguerra Portocarrero who had submitted his resignation after the failed attempt to reform the Judicial Branch. With her appointment, President Santos fulfilled the Law of Quotas that called for at least a 30% of ministerial positions to go to women, and which had gone unfulfilled since Minister Beatriz Elena Uribe Botero was replaced as Minister of Housing, City and Territory by Germán Vargas Lleras, and two further posts had been filled by men.
- "CV of Ruth Stella Correa Palacio" (PDF) (in Spanish). Colombia, Office of the President of. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- "Presidente Santos designó a Ruth Stella Correa como nueva Ministra de Justicia y del Derecho" (in Spanish). Bogotá: Colombia, Office of the President of. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Santos Calderón, Juan Manuel (12 July 2012). "Palabras del Presidente Juan Manuel Santos en la sanción del Código General del Proceso y del Estatuto de Arbitraje Nacional e Internacional, y posesión de la Ministra de Justicia, Ruth Stella Correa Palacio" (in Spanish). Bogotá: Colombia, Office of the President of. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- "Presidente Santos lamenta la renuncia de Juan Carlos Esguerra y prepara respuesta". Caracol Radio (in Spanish). Bogotá. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Guzmán, José Vicente (6 October 2012). "Ley de cuotas: lejos de su objetivo". Semana (in Spanish). Bogotá. ISSN 0124-5473. OCLC 7475329. Retrieved 28 April 2013.