Ikram in 2015
|Born||17 May 1965|
|Institutions||American University in Cairo|
Salima Ikram (Urdu: سلیمہ اکرام; born 17 May 1965) is a Pakistani professor of Egyptology at the American University in Cairo, a participant in many Egyptian archaeological projects, the author of several books on Egyptian archaeology, a contributor to various magazines and a guest on pertinent television programs.
Ikram studied Egyptology and archaeology at Bryn Mawr College, earning an AB. in Classical and Near Eastern archaeology and history. Continuing her studies at the University of Cambridge, she earned her M.Phil. and PhD in Egyptology and Museum Studies. Her PhD thesis was entitled 'Choice cuts: meat production in Ancient Egypt'.
Ikram lives in Cairo and teaches Egyptology and Archaeology at the American University in Cairo, where she is Professor of Egyptology. In 2017, Ikram was a visiting professor at Yale University for the fall term. She was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2017 as an international honorary member.
Ikram is the co-director of the Animal Mummy Project at the Egyptian Museum. Since 2001, she has directed, with Corinna Rossi, the North Kharga Oasis Survey (NKOS), and directed the North Kharga Oasis Darb Ain Amur Survey and the Amenmesse Mission of KV10 and KV63 in the Valley of the Kings. She has also worked with André Veldmeijer of the Netherlands-Flemish Institute in Cairo on the Ancient Egypt Leatherwork Project (AELP).
Ikram has an active media presence, contributing to articles on Egyptology in Egypt Today and National Geographic. She has also written for Kmt, a journal of modern Egyptology. Ikram has appeared on documentary series and specials for PBS, Channel 4, Discovery Channel, History Channel, National Geographic Channel, and the BBC. She has also served as an advisor on the Universal Pictures movie The Mummy.
In 2018, Ikram participated in Tenerife (Spain), in the international congress "Athanatos. Inmortal. Muerte e inmortalidad en las poblaciones del pasado". During this congress there was an exhibition of mummies from different parts of the world, including the Guanche mummies of the ancient inhabitants of the island of Tenerife, with a technique similar to the Egyptian mummies.
- Excellence in Research Award by The American University in Cairo (2006).
- Choice Cuts: Meat Production in Ancient Egypt (Leuven: Peeters, 1995); ISBN 9068317458.
- Pyramids (Cairo: Zeitouna, 1995); ISBN 9774244648.
- Royal Mummies in the Egyptian Museum (with Aidan Dodson, Cairo: Zeitouna/American University in Cairo Press, 1997); ISBN 9774244311.
- The Mummy in Ancient Egypt: Equipping the Dead for Eternity (with Aidan Dodson, New York: Thames & Hudson/Cairo: AUC Press, 1998); ISBN 0500050880.
- 'Diet in: Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001); ISBN 9780195102345.
- Catalogue général of Egyptian antiquities in the Cairo Museum: 24048/24056, Non-human mummies (Cairo: Supreme Council of Antiquities Press, 2002); ISBN 9773052753.
- Death and Burial in Ancient Egypt (Longman, 2003); ISBN 0582772168
- Divine Creatures: Animal Mummies In Ancient Egypt (American University in Cairo Press, 2005); ISBN 9781936190010.
- The Tomb in Ancient Egypt: royal and private sepulchres from the early dynastic period to the Romans (with Aidan Dodson, London & New York: Thames & Hudson/Cairo: AUC Press, 2008); ISBN 9780500051399.
- 'Meat Processing' in Nicholson, P. and Shaw, I. Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009); ISBN 9780521120982.
- Egyptian Bioarchaeology: Humans, Animals, and the Environment (with Jessica Kaiser; Roxie Walker, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015); ISBN 9789088902888.
Works for young readers
- Egyptology (Amideast, 1997)
- In Ancient Egypt: Gods and Temples (Los Altos, CA: Hoopoe Books Ltd., 1998)
- In Ancient Egypt: Mummies and Tombs (Los Altos, CA: Hoopoe Books Ltd., 1998)
- Pharaohs (Amideast, 1997)
- Land and People (Amideast, 1997)
- "Dr. Salima Ikram, Faunal Analyst - Theban Mapping Project". thebanmappingproject.com. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Salima Ikram Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Visiting Professor at Yale | The American University in Cairo". www.aucegypt.edu. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Salima | The American University in Cairo". www.aucegypt.edu. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Ikram, Salima (1992). Choice cuts: meat production in Ancient Egypt (Thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "Salima Ikram | Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations". nelc.yale.edu. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Salima Ikram". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "Animal Mummies in the Cairo Museum". animalmummies.com. Archived from the original on May 10, 2000. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Caring for the Dead". archaeology.org. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "North Kharga Oasis Survey". www.aucegypt.edu. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- Marchant, Jo. "Ancient Egyptian chariot trappings rediscovered". Nature News. doi:10.1038/nature.2011.9388.
- "Old Kingdom leather fragments reveal how ancient Egyptians built their chariots - Ancient Egypt - Heritage - Ahram Online". english.ahram.org.eg. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Illustrating Egypt's Wildlife". EgyptToday. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "The great pyramid". EgyptToday. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Sacred Gold". EgyptToday. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Curse Of The Mummy". www.nationalgeographic.com.au. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Kmt Vol. 5 No. 1". www.kmtjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Kmt Vol. 5 No. 2". www.kmtjournal.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Desk, TV News. "Liev Schreiber to Narrate PBS's Global Series CIVILIZATIONS". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Tutankhamun: The Mystery of the Burnt Mummy". Egypt Exploration Society. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Egypt's New Tomb Revealed : Programs : Discovery Channel : Discovery Press Web". press.discovery.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "Egyptology's New Frontier - Archaeology Magazine Archive". archive.archaeology.org. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Nature, Laura Geggel 2016-03-31T18:10:07Z Human. "Morgan Freeman Delves into 'The Story of God' in Nat Geo Special". livescience.com. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "BBC Four - The Man Who Shot Tutankhamun". BBC. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- "70 million animal mummies: Egypt's dark secret". BBC. 2015-05-11. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
- Canarias presume de momias en el congreso ‘Atanathos’
- "Awards and Honors | The American University in Cairo". www.aucegypt.edu. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
|This biographical article about a Pakistani academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Egyptologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|