Sam Wanamaker Award
The Sam Wanamaker Award or Sam Wanamaker Prize is an award established in 1994 for pioneering work in Shakespearean theatre, usually given to individuals who have worked closely with Shakespeare's Globe or the Royal Shakespeare Company; the award is not specific to artistic contribution, and has frequently been granted to businessmen and academics. It is one of the three British awards for classical theatre, alongside the Ian Charleson Award and The Owle Schreame Awards. It is presented by Shakespeare's Globe and named after Sam Wanamaker, the theatre's founder.
- 2017 - 25 Globe volunteers
- 2016 - Gordon McMullan, professor of English at King's College London, founder of "Shakespeare 400" quatercentenary celebrations.
- 2015 - Christopher Plummer, actor
- 2014 - Ralph Alan Cohen, co-founder of the American Shakespeare Center
- 2013 - Michael Sydney Perry, British business executive 
- 2012 - Gregory Doran, artistic director of Royal Shakespeare Company
- 2011 - Glynn MacDonald, Resident Master of Movement at Shakespeare's Globe, and Giles Block, Resident Master of Verse and Play at Shakespeare's Globe
- 2010 - Professor Stanley Wells CBE, Shakespeare scholar and author
- 2008 - Andrew Gurr, theater historian
- 2007 - Jenny Tiramani, Claire van Kampen and Mark Rylance
- 2006 - Dawn Saunders QSM, CEO of the Shakespeare's Globe Centre in New Zealand
- 2004 - John Orrell, Canadian scholar and theatre historian
- 2003 - Stephen Unwin and Barrie Rutter, Directors of English Touring Theatre and Northern Broadsides respectively
- 2002 - Paul Scofield CBE
- 2001 - John Barton CBE
- 2000 - Cicely Berry
- 1999 - Glynne Wickham
- 1998 - Janet Arnold
- 1996 - William Hutt
- 1995 - Leon Garfield
- 1994 - Dr. Rex Gibson
- Matthew Hemley, New Awards Launched to Honour Classical Theatre, The Stage, July 30th 2014
- "Interview: BRICE STRATFORD talks to us about THE OWLE SCHREAME AWARDS of engraved glass skulls..." OffWestEnd.com, (2014)
- "Sam Wanamaker Award 2017", Shakespeare's Globe, June 1, 2017.
- "Brains behind Shakespeare 400 wins Sam Wanamaker Award", The Stage, June 6, 2016.
- "Christopher Plummer wins the 2015 Sam Wanamaker award", The Stage, June 17, 2015.
- "ASC co-founder honored", The News Leader, June 16, 2014.
|This award-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|