Award or decoration
An award is something given to a person, a group of people, like a sports team, or an organization in recognition of their excellence in a certain field. An award may be accompanied by a trophy, title, certificate, commemorative plaque, medal, badge, pin, or ribbon. The accompanying item may vary according to purpose. For instance, awards for sports tournaments often take the form of cups, following a tradition harking back to the ancient Greek tripod given to winners in athletic contests. The Stanley Cup is a modern example. In contrast, awards for employee recognition often take the form of plaques or crystal pieces.. An award may carry a monetary prize given to the recipient. For example, the Nobel Prize recognizes contributions to society, while the Pulitzer prize honors literary achievements. An award may also simply be a public acknowledgment of excellence, without any tangible token or prize. Finally, an award may recognize participation rather than victory. There is controversy regarding the appropriateness of participation awards for students in United States schools.
A decoration is an object, such as a medal or an order's insignia, that is awarded to honor the recipient (see List of prizes, medals and awards). It may be awarded by a sovereign state (see state decoration), a fount of honour or an organization, and can include:
An honorable mention is an award, prize or recognition given to something that does not make it to a higher standing but is worth mentioning in an honorable way.
- Decoration (disambiguation)
- Order (distinction)
- List of awards
- List of science and technology awards
- Military awards and decorations
- List of military decorations
- Civil awards and decorations
- "Definition of award in English". English Oxford Living Dictionaries. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- "Meaning of "award" in the English Dictionary". Cambridge Dictionary. Cambridge University Press. Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- Sowder, Amy (April 2008). "Ancient Greek Bronze Vessels". Metropolitan Museum of Art. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Corporate Awards: A Beginner's Guide". Viking Trophies Awards and Recognition. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- Ross, Martha (25 September 2015). "Should kids in sports get trophies just for participating?". The Mercury News. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- English, James F. (2008). The Economy of Prestige: Prizes, Awards, and the Circulation of Cultural Value. Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674030435.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Awards.|
|Look up award or decoration in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikidata has the property: