Samsung Galaxy Camera
|Sensor||BSI CMOS 1/2.3"|
|Maximum resolution||16 megapixels|
|Lens||4.1-86.1 mm (21x optical zoom)|
|Shutter speed range||16 sec to 1/2,000th sec|
|ASA/ISO range||ISO 100 to 3200|
|Rear LCD monitor||4.8" (122 mm) LCD touchscreen, 1280 x 720 pixels|
|Storage||8GB, expanded via micro-SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Dimensions||70.8 x 128.7 x 19.1mm|
The Samsung Galaxy Camera is a point-and-shoot camera which is an Android based mobile device. Samsung announced the camera in August 2012, with the slogan "Camera. Reborn." The device was officially released on 8 November 2012, with web sales beginning on 7 November.
The camera features a 16 megapixel CMOS sensor and a 21x optical zoom lens, as well as Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, and a GPS receiver by which the camera can make geotagged photographs. It runs on Android's 4.1 "Jelly Bean" software and it allows for in-camera organizing, editing and online sharing or storage of images and videos. As with other Android devices, other software can be downloaded from Google Play. However, voice calls cannot be made on the Galaxy Camera. This feature would be provided in its successor, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom.
On December 11, 2012, Verizon announced that it will also carry the Galaxy Camera. It will be the first 4G LTE camera.
Although the Galaxy Camera started as a single camera, the branded concept was expanded to include multiple iterations of digital camera, with the Android OS being the unifying feature.
As of February 2016, the range of galaxy camera includes (and has included):
- Galaxy Camera
- Galaxy Camera 2
- Galaxy Camera NX20.3
- "Samsung GALAXY Camera". Samsung Electronics. Retrieved 18 Sep 2012.
- Samsung's Android-powered Galaxy Camera: the most connected camera? DP Review, 2012 Aug 29
- "Samsung Galaxy Camera release date announced". Trusted Reviews. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "Samsung Galaxy Camera GC100 - Full specifications". 2013-12-25. Gsmarena.
- Samsung Galaxy Camera review. "Samsung Galaxy Camera review". Android Central. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Android Cameras from Nikon and Samsung by David Pogue, NY Times, Dec 20, 2012
- Dobie, Alex (2013-06-12). "Making sense of the Galaxy S4 Zoom". Android Central. Retrieved 2013-11-30.
- "James Franco's Guide to the Samsung Galaxy Camera". Cultbox. 2012-12-30. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- Samsung and AT&T Offer a $500 'Connected Camera' By Adam Dickter, Sci-Tech Today, November 15, 2012 3:08PM
- Samsung (2016). Galaxy cameras. Samsung. http://www.samsung.com/us/photography/galaxy-camera. (Accessed 6/1/2016)