August 30, 1977 |
|Alma mater||Trinity University|
|Occupation||Founder, Chairman and CEO, Biglari Holdings|
|Salary||$34.4 million (2014) |
Sardar Biglari (Persian: سردار بیگلری; born August 30, 1977) is an American entrepreneur and is the founder, chairman and CEO of Biglari Holdings, a holding company that trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol BH. Biglari controls the Steak 'n Shake Company, First Guard Insurance, Maxim Magazine and the Western Sizzlin corporation among others, which are subsidiaries of Biglari Holdings. Biglari is also founder, chairman and CEO of Biglari Capital, the general partner to The Lion Fund.
He founded an Internet Service Provider at the age of 18 by raising $15,000. In 1999 with concerns about the tech bubble, he sold the business to Internet America  With the proceeds of the sale, Biglari started an investment partnership at the age of 22. The fund bought shares in restaurant companies including Friendly Ice Cream and Western Sizzlin Corp., which he became chairman and CEO of in 2006. Friendly Ice Cream founder, Prestley Blake, found an ally in Biglari  and he cashed out and profited when Friendly's was bought out by a private-equity firm. The case was covered by Harvard Business School Professors Fabrizio Ferri, V.G. Narayanan and James Weber.
Steak 'n Shake
In August 2008, Biglari took over Steak 'n Shake, which had been losing more than $100,000 a day. Biglari turned the company around from near insolvency to one making more than $100,000 a day. By 2015, the company had attained 24 consecutive quarters of same-store sales increases under Biglari.
Biglari bought 4.7 million shares of Cracker Barrel in 2011. In 2014, Harvard Business School professors Suraj Srinivasan and Tim Gray wrote a case study on Biglari and Cracker Barrel. By 2016 the investment in Cracker Barrel had gained 284% making Biglari over half a billion dollars.
On February 27, 2014, Maxim was bought by Biglari who commented, "We plan to build the business on multiple dimensions, thereby energizing our readership and viewership.". In January 2016, Biglari officially took over as Editor-in-Chief of Maxim, though a Maxim staffer said that the new masthead title just formalizes what has always been clear: Biglari exercises full editorial control over Maxim. At one point last year, the staffer said, he decided to throw out a nearly-complete version of the December issue in order to completely redesign the magazine. On January 13, 2016 Gilles Bensimon joined Biglari as a special creative director. "What drew me to Maxim was Sardar's vision for the brand," said Bensimon.
First Guard Insurance
ON March 19, 2014, Biglari purchased First Guard Insurance Company. First Guard Founder and CEO Ed Campbell said: "I couldn't imagine a better, more fitting owner of First Guard."
- "2014: A Blowout Compensation Year for Sardar Biglari - Restaurant Industry Insight and Analysis - March 2015". Restfinance.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Profile on Forbes Archived October 14, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Biglari Holdings Inc". Biglariholdings.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Roose, Kevin (2012-02-06). "Sardar Biglari Take a Page From Warren Buffett for His Own Path". Dealbook.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- [dead link]
- "In Friendly's Fight, a Brotherly Feud - The New York Times". Dealbook.nytimes.com. 2007-03-19. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- [dead link]
- Ferri, Fabrizio (2008-04-04). "Shareholder Activists at Friendly Ice Cream (A) - Case - Harvard Business School". Hbs.edu. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- [dead link]
- "Steak 'n Shake Achieves 24th Consecutive Quarter Of Same-Store Sales Growth". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Cracker Barrel Adopts Poison Pill". Dealbook.nytimes.com. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- [dead link]
- Caleb Melby (2016-10-13). "Even a 284% Five-Year Gain Doesn't Impress Cracker Barrel's Top Shareholder". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- De Lombaerde, Geert (October 8, 2012). "Résumé-gate at Cracker Barrel?". The Nashville Post. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- De Lombaerde, Geert (October 9, 2012). "Cracker Barrel regrets Bradford bio confusion, says Owen dean 'beyond reproach'". The Nashville Post. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- De Lombaerde, Geert (October 15, 2012). "Cracker Barrel tries to clear the Bradford air". The Nashville Post. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- Jefferson, Greg (2014-03-07). "Biglari's 'Maxim' purchase is a classic 'alpha-dog' move - San Antonio Express-News". Expressnews.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Sterne, Peter (2016-01-08). "Maxim to name owner Sardar Biglari editor in chief- POLITICO Media". Capitalnewyork.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- Alexandra Steigrad (2016-01-13). "Maxim Taps Gilles Bensimon as Special Creative Adviser – WWD". Wwd.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.
- "Biglari Holdings Inc. Acquires First Guard Insurance Company". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-23.