Saved by the Light
|Part of a series on the|
Saved by the Light is a 1994 nonfiction book by Dannion Brinkley describing his purported near-death experience (NDE). It is co-authored by Paul Perry. The book was adapted for a 1995 FOX TV film of the same name starring Eric Roberts.
Brinkley claims to have been struck by lightning and to have clinically died for approximately twenty-eight minutes. He eventually told of a dark tunnel, a crystal city, and a "cathedral of knowledge" where thirteen "angels" shared with him over a hundred revelations about the future, some of which he claims have come true.
Brinkley followed up this book with the sequels, At Peace in the Light in 1995, followed by Secrets of the Light in 2009, and Ten Things to Know Before You Go in 2014. It was also made into a movie of the same title.
Some of the book's assertions were subsequently challenged, including claims of where and how Brinkley recovered and how long he was supposedly dead, and claims made about his military service record. Interviews with his physician and the reporter who interviewed him indicate that Brinkley never entered the hospital or morgue and that Brinkley originally did not claim to have died, but only that he "was out for a few minutes", and that his wife saved his life.
- Tulfo, Ramon (2 November 2019). "We never die". The Manila Times. Retrieved 31 December 2021.
- Colford, Paul D. (1994-03-24). "'How We Die' Becomes Surprise Hit". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Kelly, Leslie (1995-01-23). "Incredible Journey Author's near-death experience brings an enlightened view of life". The Spokesman-Review. Archived from the original on 2016-05-05. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Brinkley, Dannion (1995). At peace in the light: a man who died twice reveals amazing insights into life, death and its mysteries. London: Piatkus. ISBN 9780749915810.
- Brinkley, Dannion (2008). Secrets of the light: lessons from heaven. New York: HarperOne. ISBN 9780061662461.
- Brinkley, Dannion (2013). Ten Things to Know Before You Go: How the Secrets of the Afterlife Can Transform Your Life Now. HarperCollins Publishers Limited. ISBN 9780062123886.
- Saved by the Light at IMDb
- on YouTube
- Rivernburg, Roy (1995-03-24). "Blinded by the Light? : Tales of near-death experiences--from visions of God to meeting Elvis--fascinate millions of us. But as the stories increase, so does the criticism". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- B. G. Burkett and Glenna Whitley, Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam generation was robbed of its heroes and its history, pp. 385–387. Verity Press, 1998. ISBN 0-9667036-0-X.
- Excerpt from on YouTube, June 25, 2008, produced by www.WorldofWonder.net and aired on Britain's Channel 4