Schwändi, near Schwanden, Glarus
|Village (and former municipality)|
The former municipal area (2007)
|• Total||3.48 km2 (1.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||701 m (2,300 ft)|
|Population (December 2017)|
|• Density||140/km2 (350/sq mi)|
Schwändi is first mentioned in 1350 as Swendi.
Schwändi has an area, as defined by the former municipal boundaries in 2006, of 3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi). The area extends to the west of the village to the peak of the Vorder Glärnisch (2,327 m or 7,635 ft). Of this area, 33% is used for agricultural purposes, while 27.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (35.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The Sernftalbus operates an hourly bus service linking Schwändi with Schwanden railway station. At Schwanden railway station, a connecting railway service runs to the capital of the canton of Glarus, the town of Glarus.
Schwändi has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 476. As of 2007[update], 8.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 10.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.7%), with French being second most common ( 0.5%) and English being third ( 0.5%).
Schwändi has an unemployment rate of 1.41%. As of 2005[update], there were 18 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 7 businesses involved in this sector. 10 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 3 businesses in this sector. 15 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 7 businesses in this sector.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Schwändi". Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (in French). 18 April 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "Gemeinde Glarus Süd" [Glarus Süd Municipality] (in German). Gemeinde Glarus Süd. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2011-09-04 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 14-Sep-2009
- "Sernftalbus - Fahrplan 2015" [Sernftalbus - Timetable 2015] (PDF) (in German). Autobetrieb Sernftal AG. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-04-27. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 17 September 2018
- Canton Glarus population growth (in German) accessed 9 September 2009
- Media related to Schwändi at Wikimedia Commons
- Schwändi from the Glarus Süd municipal web site (in German)
- Schwändi in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.