February 18, 1971 |
Waterbury, Connecticut, United States
|Education||Culinary Institute of America|
Scott Conant (born February 19, 1971) is an American celebrity chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author.
Conant was born in Waterbury, Connecticut. Scott is of Italian descent on his mother's side. He began cooking at a young age, taking cooking classes at the local community college at age 11. At 15, he enrolled in W.F. Kaynor Technical High School for culinary arts, and then attended the Culinary Institute of America (CIA). He has since opened a number of very popular restaurants in North America, written numerous cookbooks, and appeared on or starred in many food-related television shows.
While at the CIA, Conant interned at the famous New York City restaurant San Domenico, an experience that had a decisive impact on the young chef. After graduation, he spent a year in Munich, Germany, mastering the art of pastry at the Hotel Bayerischer Hof. He returned to the United States and San Domenico, working as a sous chef and helping the restaurant garner three stars from The New York Times.
In 1995, Cesare Casella selected him to be chef de cuisine at Il Toscanaccio, an Upper East Side Tuscan-style restaurant. A year later, Conant went on to revamp two institutions: Barolo in SoHo and Chianti on the Upper East Side. While at Barolo Scott worked with Ghire Shivprasad. Conant then became executive chef at City Eatery, located on the Bowery in New York City.
Conant and his modern take on Italian cuisine got the attention of New Yorkers, earning him a loyal following and a glowing two-star review from The New York Times in 2000.
In September 2002, Conant opened L’Impero in Tudor City. Within weeks, the restaurant received a rave three-star review from The New York Times, which stated, "[Conant is] turning out dishes full of flavors that are joyous and highly refined. From the simplest preparations to the most complex he is almost always in control and in tune." Gourmet declared that Conant “raises the roof on the Manhattan school of Italian cooking.” 
A year later, Conant’s signature pastas appeared on the cover of Food & Wine, and the magazine went on to name Conant one of America’s “Best New Chefs” in 2004. L’Impero received top honors from the James Beard Foundation in 2003, including “Best New Restaurant” in the U.S. and “Outstanding Restaurant Design.”  In October 2003, Conant was featured on the cover of Gourmet for its “Chefs Rock” issue, and in March 2004, Gourmet editor Ruth Reichl named L’Impero one of her favorite New York restaurants.
Following L’Impero, Conant went on to open Alto, a "sophisticated"  Italian restaurant in midtown Manhattan that offered his interpretation of Northern Italian cuisine.
Conant left L’Impero and Alto in 2007, and in 2008 opened a new restaurant, Scarpetta, located in Chelsea, Manhattan.
In July 2008, Scarpetta received a positive three-star review from The New York Times and New York Magazine. In November 2008, Scarpetta was named one of the “Best New Restaurants in America” by Esquire magazine. Scarpetta was nominated in early 2009 for "Best New Restaurant in America" by the James Beard Foundation.
In July 2010, the reality food-competition television show "24 Hour Restaurant Battle" premiered on the Food Network, starring Conant as the Host and Head Judge along with fellow restaurateur and Chopped judge Geoffrey Zakarian. The television show pits two teams of two people against each other as they open up a restaurant from scratch in 24 hours. The show was cancelled after two seasons.
In September 2014, Empire Resorts announced that Conant plans to open Bistecca by Scott Conant - an elegant and modern Italian steakhouse - at the proposed Montreign Resort Casino in the Catskills.
- Top Chef – Guest Judge Season 2, 4 and 5
- Chopped – Judge Seasons 1–4, 6, 9
- Martha Stewart Living- Multiple Appearances
- The Today Show – Multiple Appearances
- Good Morning America – Multiple Appearances
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations – The "Techniques Special" Aired: April 5, 2010
- 24 Hour Restaurant Battle – Host / Head Judge
- Three Stars from The New York Times for "L'Impero" & "Scarpetta New York"
- Four Stars from Miami Herald for "Scarpetta Miami"
- "Best New Restaurant of 2003" from the James Beard Foundation for "L'Impero"
- "Best New Chef" from Food & Wine Magazine in 2004
- Winner of season 3 of "Chopped All-Stars"
- Scott Conant's New Italian Cooking (2005), ISBN 0-7679-1682-4
- Bold Italian (2008), ISBN 978-0-7679-1683-7
- The Scarpetta Cookbook (2013), ISBN 978-1118508701
- "Tomato King Scott Conant Resurrects Roman Regime". The New York Observer. August 12, 2008. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Scrippsnetwork (do search on "scott conant")
- Bruni, Frank (2006-09-01). "Q&A: Scott Conant". nytimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-10-23.
- Bryan Miller (July 22, 1988). "Restaurants - New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "City Eatery (NYC Restaurant) Review - New York City Restaurant Reviews - The New York Times". Events.nytimes.com. November 15, 2000. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "L'Impero (NYC Restaurant) Review - New York City Restaurant Reviews - The New York Times". Events.nytimes.com. December 4, 2002. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "O C T O B E R 2006 Robert P. Bremner ’62 on Chairman of the Fed The Tap Room Takes Off!" (PDF). Webcache.googleusercontent.com. February 22, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Best New Chefs | Food & Wine". Foodandwine.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "The James Beard Foundation Events: December 2005". Jamesbeard.starchefs.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Ruth Reichl's 25 favorite New York City restaurants". A Full Belly. February 23, 2004. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Platt, Adam. "Alto - New York Magazine Restaurant Review". Nymag.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Freeman, Danyelle (June 13, 2007). "Q & A with Scott Conant". restaurantgirl.com. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Ulster, Laurie (April 24, 2014). "The Many Sides of Scott Conant". The Chefs Connection. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- Platt, Adam (July 14, 2008). "Scarpetta - New York Magazine Restaurant Review". Nymag.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "Best New Restaurants 2008". Esquire. October 20, 2008. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas to Open December 15, 2010". Hotelexecutive.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- "薬用プランテルはM字脱毛(AGA)に非常に効果が有ると評判の育毛剤です". 24hourrestaurantbattle.com. Retrieved May 23, 2014.