Scout Ranger Regiment
|1 Scout Ranger Regiment|
Pin Badge of the Scout Rangers
|Active||November 25, 1950 - Present|
|Role||Airborne operations, Direct Action, Reconnaissance, Unconventional Warfare|
|Part of||Under the Philippine Army Special Operations Command (PASOC)|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Andres Bonifacio, Makati City
Camp Tecson, San Miguel, Bulacan (Main)
|Nickname(s)||Musangs, FSRR, Strikers, Rangers, SR, Scout Ranger|
|Engagements||Operation Enduring Freedom - Philippines
Anti-guerrilla operations against the NPA and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front
Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation Badge
Presidential Streamer Award
|BGen Eduardo Davalan INF (GSC) PA|
The Scout Rangers, known officially as the First Scout Ranger Regiment, are a Philippine Army Special Operations Command unit, and specializes in anti-guerrilla warfare. The regiment boasts that it is one of the world's best anti-guerrilla combat units.
The Scout Ranger Regiment was formed on November 25, 1950 under the command of former AFP Vice Chief of Staff and Defense Secretary Rafael M. Ileto. Named after both the Alamo Scouts and the US Army Rangers, the unit was created due to a growing need to counter the Hukbalahap guerrillas and its rebellion with a force trained in small unit actions. Scout Rangers participated in the December 1989 coup attempt against the administration of Corazon Aquino. Led by Captain Danilo Lim, Major Abraham Purugganan and Lieutenant Colonel Rafael Galvez, some 2500 rangers took over Makati in the most destructive coup attempt against the Aquino administration, which left hundreds of civilians and soldiers dead, and hundreds more injured.
Scout Rangers played a major role in capturing the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebel camp during the all out war against the MILF.
With the rise of guerrilla and terrorist activities in the Philippines, the Scout Rangers have teamed up with the Light Reaction Battalion to take on more responsibility in internal security duties.
Their headquarters, where the scout ranger school is also located is in Camp Tecson in San Miguel, Bulacan. The land was donated by 1902 - 1906 Governor of Bulacan Province - Pablo Tecson (Pablo Ocampo Tecson) of San Miguel, Bulacan.
The following are subordinate battalions and companies of the 1st Scout Rangers.
- 1st Scout Ranger Battalion
- 2nd Scout Ranger Battalion
- 3rd Scout Ranger Battalion
- 4th Scout Ranger Battalion
- Scout Ranger Training School
- 1st Scout Ranger Company "We Dare"
- 2nd Scout Ranger Company "Venceremos" (Sp., "We will win")
- 3rd Scout Ranger Company "Terminator"
- 4th Scout Ranger Company "Final Option"
- 5th Scout Ranger Company "Salaknib" (Iloko, "Shield")
- 6th Scout Ranger Company "The Cutting Edge"
- 7th Scout Ranger Company "In Hoc Signo Vinces" (L., "Under this sign thou shalt conquer")
- 8th Scout Ranger Company "Destruere Hostis Deus" (L., "Destroy the enemy of God")
- 9th Scout Ranger Company "Angát sa Ibá!" (Tag., "Above all others!")
- 10th Scout Ranger Company "We Lead" (Ultimus Fortis)
- 11th Scout Ranger Company "Pericoloso" (It., "Dangerous")
- 12th Scout Ranger Company "Always Ready"
- 13th Scout Ranger Company "Warrior"
- 14th Scout Ranger Company "Mabalasik" (Tag., "Fierce")
- 15th Scout Ranger Company "Mandirigmâ" (Tag., "Fighters" or "Warriors")
- 16th Scout Ranger Company "Mabangís" (Tag., "Vicious")
- 17th Scout Ranger Company "Mabagsík" (Tag., "Fierce")
- 18th Scout Ranger Company "Makamandág" (Tag., "Venomous")
- 19th Scout Ranger Company "Dimalupig" (Tag., "Unbeatable")
- 20th Scout Ranger Company "Hellcat"
- 21st Scout Ranger Company "Mapangahas" (Tag., "Fearless")
Col. Aminkadra S. Undug
- Scout Ranger Qualification Badge
- Philippine Army Special Operations Command
- 1st Special Forces Airborne Regiment
- Light Reaction Regiment
- SPECIAL UNITS. Retrieved on November 1, 2007.
- Strike Musang's Home Page. at WebCite (archived 23 October 2009). Retrieved on November 1, 2007. Archived 2009-10-22.
- One Brave Man. Retrieved on November 4, 2008.
- MUTINY BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF 1989 SIEGE. Retrieved on November 4, 2008.
- Light Reaction Company. at WebCite (archived 23 October 2009) Retrieved on November 1, 2007. Archived 2009-10-22.
- Dennis V. Eclarin, Scout Ranger Combat Guide (Third Edition), 2003, The Philippine Star.
- Books LLC (2010), Special Forces of the Philippines: Special Action Force, Presidential Security Group, Philippine Marine Corps Force Recon Battalion. General Books LLC. ISBN 9781155645537.
- Special Operations Forces Online Database
- History Channel Special Forces: Philippine Scout Ranger Episode