Sean Patrick Fannon
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may contain wording that promotes the subject through exaggeration of unnoteworthy facts. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sean Patrick Fannon
|Born||January 4, 1966|
Tennessee, United States
|Occupation||Game Designer, Writer|
Sean Patrick Fannon is an American role-playing game designer and writer. He has been working in the gaming industry since 1988, and is best known for his work with the Savage Worlds game system, including his epic fantasy setting, Shaintar, and his conversion of the classic game Rifts. He has also worked as a designer in the video game industry and a consultant in the film industry.
- 1 Personal life
- 2 Career in role-playing games
- 3 Bibliography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Fannon was born on January 4, 1966, in Tennessee. He began playing role-playing games in 1977. Before becoming a successful game designer, he worked as a deputy sheriff, airline agent, and armored car driver. He attended West Point from 1984 to 1986. He currently lives in Thornton, Colorado with his fiancé and her daughter.
Career in role-playing games
Fannon's career in the gaming industry began in 1988, writing freelance articles and reviews for small-press magazines. He then wrote multiple books for Hero Games' Champions RPG, which led to a job as the Continuity Director of the Champions Universe line. He also wrote books for the Shatterzone RPG and the original Star Wars RPG from West End Games and articles for Shadis Magazine, Adventurer's Club Magazine, and TSR's Dragon Magazine.
In 1995, Fannon wrote The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible, an introduction to the role-playing hobby, for Prima Entertainment. A second edition of the book was published by Obsidian Studios in 1999. This book has been cited as a good introductory guide to roleplaying games for people that are not roleplayers.
Multimedia company IEI's games division 8th Wonder Games hired Fannon in 1996 to target the role-playing games niche.
Fannon was one of the staff to join the company as FASA Games came together in 2012, with his role in marketing and promotion.:379
From October 2008 until 2012 Fannon worked as a Marketing and Communications Manager for DrvieThruRPG where he managed communications, promotions, marketing, and business development for RPG sites. This included helping to advertise projects like their "Gamers Help Haiti" program, which raised money to donate to Doctors without borders during their effort to provide medical support to the people of Haiti following the 2010 Haiti earthquake. This effort raised over $175,000. He also helped drivethru begin more active support of other charities, leading to them establishing permanent accounts with Hero Initiative, Feeding America, Red Cross, and Doctors Without Borders.
In 2005, Shaintar: Immortal Legends the first book set in Fannon's epic fantasy setting for Pinnacle Entertainment Group's Savage Worlds RPG, was published by Talisman Studios. In 2013, Savage Mojo began publishing the Shaintar line, starting with a successful Kickstarter campaign for Shaintar: Legends Unleashed. Two Shaintar books, Shaintar: Legends Arise and Shaintar: Legends Unleashed, were nominated for Ennie awards in 2014.
Evil Beagle Games
Fannon worked as a designer for Interplay Productions (on a Star Trek adventure game), Vortex Media Arts (multiple titles, including a Tonka activity game), Infogrames Multimedia, 8th Wonder Games (Drachen Zor), and Telepathy Entertainment (Out There).
Fannon was the Game Designer Guest of Honor at MomoCon 2013, Gaming Guest of Honor for ConGlomeration in 2014, a featured guest at Cleveland ConCoction, the Gaming Guest of Honor for Con on the Cob in 2016, and 2017, a Celebrity Guest for Tacticon in 2017, a guest at Magic City Con, and a special guest at GenghisCon 2018, and at ChupacabraCon 2017.
Fannon was also part of an academic panel discussion at the 2018 Denver Comic Con with Professor James Fielder, Ph.D. of United States Air Force Academy about Social Sciences in Worlds that Never Were: Using Fantasy and Science Fiction Literature in the Classroom.
Savage Worlds role-playing books
- Savage Worlds
- Freedom Squadron
- Freedom Squadron Commando's Manual
- Freedom Squadron Plans & Operations Manual
- Accursed: The Guns of Dagerov
- Accursed: Ill Omens
- Savage Rifts
- Savage Rifts: The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide
- Savage Rifts: Game Master's Handbook (Nominated for a 2017 ENnie award for Best Rules.)
- Savage Rifts: Savage Foes of North America
- Savage Rifts: Coalition Field Manual
- Savage Rifts: Archetypes Set 1
- Savage Rifts: Archetypes Set 2
- A Fine Solution 1: Welcome to the World
- A Fine Solution 2: The Circle of Death
- A Fine Solution 3: Triangle Triad
- A Fine Solution 4: Unwanted Heroes
- A Fine Solution 5: Power Play
- Shaintar: Legends Arise (Nominated for a 2014 ENnie award.)
- Shaintar: Legends Unleashed (Nominated for a 2014 ENnie award.)
- Shaintar Immortal Legends
- Shaintar Atlas
- Shaintar Black Lantern Report: Camden
- Shaintar Black Lantern Report: Mercenary Companies
- Shaintar Black Lantern Report: Origins of the Society
- Shaintar: Dwarven Clanhomes
- Shaintar Adventure: The Burning Heart
- Shaintar Guidebook: Desert Princes
- Shaintar Guidebook: Dregordia
- Shaintar Guidebook: Eastport
- Shaintar Guidebook: Elvish Nation
- Shaintar Guidebook: The Freelands
- Shaintar Guidebook: Galea
- Shaintar Guidebook: Goblinesh
- Shaintar Guidebook: Korindia
- Shaintar Guidebook: Magic & Cosmology (Vol I)
- Shaintar Guidebook: Malakar Dominion
- Shaintar Guidebook: Mindoth's Tower
- Shaintar Guidebook: Nazatir
- Shaintar Guidebook: Olara
- Shaintar Guidebook: Prelacy of Camon
- Shaintar Guidebook: Serenity
- Shaintar Guidebook: Shaya'Nor
- Shaintar Guidebook: The Wildlands
- Shaintar Anthology: Southern Kingdoms
- Bloody Awful
- Godstrike Tempest: Shaintar/Suzerain Crossover
- Flame Down Below
- Other Savage Worlds works
- Crossbows, Crafting, and Ka-ZOT!
- Day in the Life: Gaming the Downtime
- Dungeonlands: Heroes And Servitors
- Enascentia: Touch of Flame
- Nova Praxis: Savage Worlds edition
- Fire in the Darkness
- Savagely Useful: Random Magic Items
- Freedom Squadron
Other role-playing games
- Aaron Allston's Strike Force (revised) (Winner of a 2016 BAMFsie award.)
- Shatterzone: Arsenal
- Shatterzone: GearTech
- Champions: Champions Universe, 4th edition
- Dark Heresy: Creatures Anathema (Winner of a 2009 ENnie award.)
- Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune
- Shards of the Stone: Core
- Hero 4th edition: High Tech Enemies
- Hero 4th edition: The Mutant File
- Series Pitch of the Month: No Crowns
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives (West End's Star Wars RPG)
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
- A Better Game With Dice and Chips 2010
- Bring Dice & Chips: The Holiday Collection 2011
- The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible
- The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible, 2nd edition
- So Yer Wantin' t' Talk Like a Pirate!
- "Q&A with Sean Patrick Fannon". Geek-pride.co.uk. Mar 18, 2013. Retrieved Feb 27, 2019.
- "Interrogation Droid: Sean Patrick Fannon". d20 Radio. Nov 12, 2015. Retrieved Feb 27, 2019.
- "After 40 years, popularity of tabletop gaming rises despite high-tech competition". Times Free Press. Jul 29, 2013. Retrieved Feb 27, 2019.
- Julie and Marx (April 26, 2016). G114 – Writer and Game Designer Sean Patrick Fannon (POD cast). GenreTainment.
- Uri Lifshitz and Eran Aviram (March 19, 2018). Savage Worlds: Freedom Squadron, with Sean Patrick Fannon (episode 20) (POD cast). On the Shoulders of Dwarves.
- "Announcing the ConGlomeration 2012 Gaming Guests of Honor Sean Patrick Fannon and Carinn Seabolt".
- "The Spark Before the Flame - RPGnet RPG Game Index". index.rpg.net. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- Fannon, Sean Patrick (December 1993). "Minion Matters". Dragon 200. Lake Geneva WI: TSR Inc.
- Fannon, Sean Patrick (December 1999). The Fantasy Roleplaying Gamer's Bible 2nd Edition. Obsidian Studios Inc. ISBN 978-0967442907.
- Lancaster, Kurt (October 1999). Warlocks and Warpdrive: Contemporary Fantasy Entertainments With Interactive and Virtual Environments. McFarland Publishing. pp. 35, 48. ISBN 978-0786406340.
- van Vuuren, Gerhardus (2005). Planning a Let's Pretend Game, Games of make-believe: role playing games as devising theatre. Pietermaritzburg.
- Tillett, L Scott. "Firm toying with new video games division", Triangle Business Journal; Raleigh Vol. 12, Iss. 5, (Oct 04, 1996): 4.
- Shannon Appelcline (2014). Designers & Dragons: The '00s. Evil Hat Productions. p. 379. ISBN 978-1-61317-087-8.
- "Gamers Helping Haiti Offers $1400 Worth Of Stuff for $20 Donation | The Escapist". www.escapistmagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "DriveThruRPG.com". www.drivethrurpg.com. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- "Origins 2012 Coverage: Interview with Sean Patrick Fannon and Matt McElroy of DriveThruRPG.com". DieHard GameFan. Jun 13, 2012. Retrieved Feb 27, 2019.
- "AICN Tabletop Shaintar".
- "ENnie Awards: 2014 ENnie Awards Winners".
- "Major Evil Beagle News".
- "Pinnacle Entertainment Group, About".
- Bryant, Peter Blix (Producer, Host) (April 25, 2016). Mythwits [Savage Rifts] (Television/Web series). Studio187, Nerd Rage News.
- "Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Savage Rifts".
- AUTHOR: GEEK'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. "The Bonkers Role-Playing World of Rifts Just Got Even Bigger".
- Bryant, Peter Blix (Producer, Host) (May 5, 2017). Geek's Guide to the Galaxy - A Science Fiction Podcast [254. Sean Patrick Fannon on the Rifts Role-Playing Game] (WIRED Podcast series). WIRED Magazine.
- "MomoCon 2013".
- "Conglomeration 2014 guest announcement".
- Sangiacomo, Michael. "Cleveland Concoction brings sci-fi, tv and gamers to Cleveland convention". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2019-03-01.
- "Gaming Guest of Honor – Sean Patrick Fannon".
- "Special Gaming Guest of Honor – Sean Patrick Fannon".
- CROMWELL, SYDNEY (23 May 2017). "Magic City Con to fill 2 levels of Wynfrey Hotel". HooverSun.com. Retrieved 2019-03-01.
- "2018 Honorary Guests".
- "Sean Patrick Fannon, ChupacabraCon 2017".
- "DENVER COMIC CON 2018 SCHEDULE".
- "ENnie Awards: 2017 ENnie Nominations". Archived from the original on 2017-11-04. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- Hall, Charlie (5 July 2017). "The best tabletop RPGs of 2017". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-03-01.
- "The Bamfsies".
- "ENnie Awards: 2009 Noms and Winners".
- Sean's Pick of the Day (blog)
Commercial and professional sites
- Evil Beagle Games (official site)
- Pinnacle Entertainment (official site)
- BoardGame Geek biography site
- Geek Pride interview
- Rogue Warden interview
- Ain't It Cool News interview
- d20 Radio interview
- The Hardboiled GMshoe interview
- Iced Jamb interview
- Mythwits interview (YouTube)
- The Wild Die interview (podcast)
- BAMF interview (podcast)
- Geek's Guide to the Galaxy - Sean Patrick Fannon
- Genretainment - Sean Patrick Fannon
- On the Shoulders of Dwarves - Savage Worlds: Freedom Squadron, with Sean Patrick Fannon (episode 20)
- Interrogation Droid: Sean Patrick Fannon