Sharjah Biennial is a contemporary art happening that takes place once every two years in the city of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. The first Sharjah Biennial took place in 1993. and was organized by the Sharjah Department of Culture and Information until it is reorientation in 2003 by Hoor bint Sultan Al Qasimi.
2005 - Sharjah Biennial 7
2007 - Sharjah Biennial 8
Hosted between April 4 to Jun 4 2007 at Sharjah Art Museum, Expo Centre Sharjah, Heritage Area, American University of Sharjah & several outdoor locations in Sharjah. curated by Mohammed Kazem, Jonathan Watkins, Eva Scharrer and titled " Still Life: Art, Ecology, and the Politics of Change.
2009 - Sharjah Biennial 9
Hosted on March 19 until May 16, 2009. the 9th Sharjah Biennial comprised the exhibition programme titled 'Provisions For The Future' curated by Isabel Carlos, and the performance and film programme 'Past Of The Coming Days' curated by Tarek Abou El Fetouh.
2011 - Sharjah Biennial 10
Hosted between 16 March to 16 May 2011, curated by Suzanne Cotter and Rasha Salti, with Associate Curator Haig Aivazian. SB11 covered the so-called Arab Spring, the movement aspiring for political change that had been ongoing in various Arabic countries for several months around that period.The biennial was hosted across several venues in the heart of Sharjah, including landmarks of Emirati architecture and Sharjah’s historic Cricket Stadium.
2013 - Sharjah Biennial 11
2015 - Sharjah Biennial 12
Titled The past, the present, the possible and Curated by Eungie Joo and took place at public spaces around the Sharjah Art Museum, the Sharjah Art Foundation offices and Al Mureijah heritage area.
- Kino, Carol. "In Sharjah, a Local International Art Scene". Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Sharjah Biennial (United Arab Emirates) | Biennial Foundation". www.biennialfoundation.org. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- Persekian, Jack. "A History of Cultural Production, Brownbook - Sharjah Art Foundation" (PDF). Brown Book.
- Design, Erskine. "Frieze Magazine | Archive | Archive | Sharjah Biennial 7". www.frieze.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- ""Sharjah Biennial 8: Still Life; Various Venues" by Wilson-Goldie, Kaelen - Artforum International, Vol. 46, Issue 1, September 2007 | Online Research Library: Questia". www.questia.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- Sharjah Biennial 8: Art, Ecology, and the Politics of Change. United Arab Emirates: Sharjah Biennale. 2006. ISBN 978-9948043287.
- Design, Erskine. "Frieze Magazine | Archive | Archive | Sharjah Biennial 9". www.frieze.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- Westcott, James. "Art Dubai and the Sharjah Biennial: talking about a revolution". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Sharjah Biennial | Gulf Art Guide". gulfartguide.com. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Interesting and eclectic displays planned for Sharjah Biennial 2015 | The National". Retrieved 2015-06-25.