She's a Lady
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"She's a Lady"|
|Single by Tom Jones|
|from the album Tom Jones Sings She's a Lady|
|Label||Decca (UK), Parrot (US and Canada)|
|Tom Jones UK chronology|
"She's a Lady" is a million-selling gold-certified hit song written by Paul Anka and performed by Tom Jones, and released at the beginning of 1971. It is Jones' highest-charting single in the U.S. to date, hitting #1 in Cash Box magazine for a week and spending one week at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Anka rewrote the first verse of the song (recorded with Jones) for his 2013 Duets album, because he disliked its chauvinistic sentiments. The songs was also a #4 hit on the US Billboard Easy Listening chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 25 song for 1971.
Paul Anka's recording of the song was released on his album Paul Anka '70s (RCA 4309, 1970) The song was re-released in 2013 on Paul Anka's " Duets" CD with a new rendition featuring Paul Anka & Tom Jones.
The song has been covered multiple times
- Between 1972 and 1974, by Singapore-based female singer Ervinna, backing music by the Charlie & His Boys, on her LP album Golden Hits Of 20th Century Vol. 6 with White Cloud Record of Singapore.
- In 1978 by Filipino singer Sam Sorono (1950–2008) on his Sings Tom Jones' Greatest Hits LP album with EMI Records.
- In 1998, by Chinese Singer, Jacky Cheung.
- In 2000 by Funkstar De Luxe in his Studio Album Keep on Moving (It's Too Funky in Here).
- In 2001 by Hong Kong singer Sammi Cheng in her Cantonese Studio Album Shocking Pink.
- In 2007 as a single by Dutch singer Jeroen van der Boom.
- In 2009, by Ali Campbell (ex UB 40) and Shaggy, on the album Flying High.
- In 2011, by the Hungarian metal band Superbutt in 2011, released on their album Music For Animals
- In 2016, by the New York duo Lion Babe
Appearances in other media
- 1973 film That Man Bolt. Sung by Samantha Nightingale (Teresa Graves) in a Nightclub sequence.
- 1995 film To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. "She's a Lady" was re-released in Europe in 1995. The single included remixes by American DJ Junior Vasquez.
- 1993 film Wilder Napalm.
- 1996 film Bound.
- 1998 film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
- 1998 film Così ridevano.
- 1999 film Agnes Browne.
- 2003 film Bend It Like Beckham.
- In the film Flushed Away, Roddy sings this song to Rita's mouse family for her grandmother thinks he's Tom Jones.
- In The Wild Thornberrys Movie as Darwin dresses as a girl to trick the girls so they will not find out he's a chimpanzee.
- On the soundtrack to the 2000 film Miss Congeniality.
- The song was also used in the intro of Tyler Perry's 2009 film Madea Goes to Jail.
- The song was featured in the 2003 episode of Futurama "Bend Her".
- The song and title was spoofed in the short-lived 2004 reality show called He's a Lady on TBS.
- The song was used in the 2009 Trop50 orange juice commercial featuring Kyra Sedgwick.
- The song is also used in TV spots for the British sitcom Keeping Up Appearances.
- The song is used for the commercial of Lacoste Inspiration in 2006
- In Season 4 of the American Dancing With the Stars, Laila Ali & Maksim Chmerkovskiy danced a Cha-Cha-Cha to this song in week 9 of competition.
- In Season 14 of the American Dancing With the Stars, Katherine Jenkins, Mark Ballas & Tristan MacManus danced a Cha-Cha-Cha to this song in week 8 of competition.
- In the last ever edition of The Weakest Link, at the end of the episode, a montage of Weakest Link moments were shown while "She's a Lady" was playing while the clips were being shown.
- This song is currently the introduction for Kate Voegele on her 'Lift Me Up' tour.
- "BBC Wales - Music - Tom Jones - Tom Jones discography". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "The Hot 100". Billboard.
- "My Way: An Autobiography". Paul Anka.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 131.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1971
- List of RPM number-one singles of 1971
"Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted" by The Partridge Family
|Canadian RPM 100 number-one single
April 3, 1971 (one week)
"Stay Awhile" by The Bells