Official Game logo
|Platform(s)||Mobile phones, Mobage|
|Genre(s)||Social role-playing video game|
Shenmue City (シェンムー街 Shenmū Machi) is a game in the Shenmue series released for smartphones in Japan. The game was conceived as a way of relaunching the game franchise by series creator Yu Suzuki. It was announced in late 2010 for cell phones and also for PCs, but only a cell phone version was released. The game was discontinued in late 2011.
The main character is a follower of Ryo Hazuki and is guided by him to explore, attempt quests, and grow strong through battle. Characters from other Shenmue games make appearances as well, and much of the original Shenmue plot is retold.
Shenmue City was first conceived when Yu Suzuki noted the popularity of Mafia Wars, a social game designed for mobile phones. Suzuki formed a plan that if the game was a success, its popularity could be leveraged to make a game to conclude the Shenmue series. Suzuki stated in an interview with Famitsu that he wanted to explore the series without very expensive graphics or sound elements like the original game. The games beta began on September 21, 2010 on the Yahoo! Japan and Japanese phone carrier DeNA's Yahoo! Mobage network. On October 7, 2010, Shenmue City was also announced for the PC as a browser-based game with a winter 2010 release date, but was never released. The game shut down on December 26, 2011.
- Diver, Mike (2 May 2014). "Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 years too late". theguardian.com. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Daniel Feit (November 16, 2010). "Shenmue City Presentation Reveals First Look at Social Game". 1UP.com. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Anoop Gantayat (December 3, 2010). "Shenmue City Live at Mobagetown". Andraisang. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Tom Goldman (November 17, 2010). "Shenmue City Was Creator's Secret Plan to Finish Saga". The Escapist. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Anoop Gantayat (2010-11-15). "Yu Suzuki Hopes to Make Shenmue 3". IGN. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Anoop Gantayat (October 7, 2010). "Shenmue Goes Social on Yahoo's New PC Service". Andraisang. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Martin Robinson (October 7, 2010). "Shenmue City Announced for PC". IGN. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Brenna Hillier (January 2, 2012). "Shenmue City shuttered". VG247. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Dale North (January 3, 2012). "Shenmue City shut down". Destructoid. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Chris Pereira (2012-09-20). "Japanese Cell Phone Treasures: 5 Mobile Games We Won't Be Seeing". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2013-03-31.