Sherman W. Dreiseszun (May 23, 1922 – December 3, 2007) was a banker and real estate developer who built Kansas City's two tallest buildings as well as several shopping malls throughout the Midwest.
Shopping malls and banking empire
In the 1960s it branched into building shopping malls opening the French Market in Overland Park, Kansas. In 1964 they took over a struggling effort to build the East Hills Mall in St. Joseph, Missouri They operated under the name of MD Management.
In 1967 they opened Metcalf South Shopping Center which was the first large indoor mall in the Kansas City area. They would also establish a banking network Mission Bank in Mission, Kansas, Metro North State Bank in Kansas City, Missouri, Valley View State Bank in Overland Park Industrial State Bank in Kansas City, Kansas and Security Bank of Kansas City as well as Merchants Bank in Kansas City. The banks would finance their expansion.
Some of the projects would be done in conjunction with Copaken, White & Blitt.
Rebuilding the Kansas City skyline
In addition to building suburban shopping centers they made their mark with the construction of Kansas City's two tallest buildings—the Town Pavilion in 1986 and One Kansas City Place in 1987. The buildings changed the landscape of downtown Kansas City where the Kansas City Power and Light Building had stood as the tallest since 1931. One Kansas City Place is twenty one feet taller than the Gateway Arch.
Their empire took big hits in the early 1990s when their banks faltered in the Savings and loan crisis. They were charged with bid rigging for leasing its office space. Morgan died in 1993 proclaiming his innocence. The FDIC prohibited Dreiseszun from being involved with the banks.
- Buckingham Square Mall (now The Gardens on Havana), Aurora, Colorado
- Crestview Hills Mall, Crestview Hills, Kentucky
- East Hills Mall in Saint Joseph, Missouri (1965)
- French Market, Overland Park, Kansas
- Indian Springs Mall, Kansas City, Kansas (1971)
- Metcalf South Shopping Center, Overland Park, Kansas (1967-2014)
- Metro North Mall, Kansas City, Missouri (1976-2014)
- Oak Park Mall, Kansas City, Missouri (1975)
- Southwyck Shopping Center, Toledo, Ohio (1972-2008) Demolished in 2009
- West Main Mall, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Westminster Mall, Denver, Colorado
- "United States Social Security Death Index". FamilySearch. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- Requiem for a civic player - Kansas City Star - December 4, 2007
- Southwyck owner no stranger to controversy - Toledo Blade - March 20, 2005
- Mall owners built fortune before decline - St. Joseph News-Press - February 24, 2008
- Iconic developer Dreiseszun dies - Kansas City Business Journal - December 3, 2007
- "Sherman W Dreiseszun". NameBase. Archived from the original on 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- FDIC Enforcement Decisions and Orders 11-30-96 p.C-3606
- Frank Morgan returns to banking Downtown, sort of - Kansas City Business Journal - March 26, 1999
- A Look at Frank Morgan Corporate Report 1984
- Directory of major malls. MJJTM Publications Corp. 1990. p. 329.