Shintaro Kago at Lucca Comics & Games 2015
|Born||駕籠 真太郎; Kago Shintarō
|Known for||guro manga|
Shintaro Kago's style has been called "fashionable paranoia". He has been published in several adult manga magazines, gaining him considerable popularity. Many of his manga have strongly satirical overtones, and deal with grotesque subjects such as extreme sex, scatology and body modification.
He has also written Sci-Fi non-guro manga, most notably Super-Conductive Brains Parataxis (超伝脳パラタクシス Choutennou Paratakushisu) for Weekly Young Jump. Many of his shorts are experimental and bizarre. He frequently breaks the fourth wall, and he likes to play with the page layout in extreme ways, mostly for comedic effect.
On April 4, 2006 an exhibition of his works, called Unsanitary Condition Exhibition (不衛生博覧会 Fueisei Hakurankai) was opened. Similarly, in the same month the first edition of his personal movie convention called Shit Film Festival (うんこ映画祭, Unko Eigasai) was held by him. From September 3–15, 2007, the Vanilla Gallery in Tokyo held another exhibition of his works, called Unsanitary Festival in the Cool of the Night (納涼不衛生まつり Nōryō fueisei matsuri). Kago Shintaro has been invited for a new exhibition outside Japan: Unsanitary Hong Kong Exhibition at CIA (Culture Industries Association) 19/03-21/04 2013 (http://www.ciahk.org/). Most recently, his work as been seen as preview material for the newest Flying Lotus release You're Dead!, set to come out October 7, 2014 in the US (October 6 in the UK) via Warp (record label). He also designed the album's cover artwork and provided illustrations for each of the album's songs, which are featured on the inner sleeves of the vinyl album.
List of works
- Shine! Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere (輝け!大東亜共栄圏)
- Aiko, the 16 Year Old Girl (アイコ十六歳)
- Six Consciousnesses Thought Changing Ataraxia (六識転想アタラクシア)
- Everything's Peaceful (万事快調)
- The Big Funeral (大葬儀)
- Notebook of Murder and Killing (殺殺草紙・大江戸奇騒天外)
- Atrocious Comedy in Front of the Station (喜劇駅前虐殺)
- Bride in Front of the Station (駅前花嫁)
- Wandering Cartoon Eccentricities in Front of the Station (駅前浪漫奇行)
- Dance! Kremlin Palace (踊る！クレムリン御殿)
- Kasutoru Shiki (かすとろ式)
- Health Plan (健康の設計)
- Eccentric People Magazine (奇人画報)
- Super-Conductive Brains Parataxis (超伝脳パラタクシス)
- Paranoia Street (パラノイアストリート)
- Ruggedness Nymphomania (凸凹ニンフォマニア)
- Superhuman (人間以上)
- Hannya Haramita (ハンニャハラミタ)
- Sudden Delusion (飛び出す妄想)
- The Collection (収集)
- Harem End
- Notebook of Murder and Killing - The 13 Cruel Sufferings of the Great Edo (殺殺草紙・大江戸無残十三苦) (2004, one shot). Published in France as Carnet de massacre - 13 contes cruels du Grand Edō by Édition IMHO in October 2010.
- Refurbishment - Everything's Peaceful (新装・万事快調)
- Dream Toy's Factory (夢のおもちゃ工場)
- Correct Perverted Sexual Desires (正しい変態性欲)
- Manga of Hole, Character, Blood, Etc. Appearances (穴、文字、血液などが現れる漫画)
- Doodlebug vs Girl in Pieces (アリ地獄VSバラバラ少女)
- Black Theatre: Granny's Dead Body is Stinky! (ブラックシアターおばあちゃんが死体くさいよ)
- Fraction (フラクション) (2009, one shot). Will be published in France by Édition IMHO in March 2012.
- An Inquiry Concerning A Mechanistic Worldview of the Pituitary Gland
- Anamorphosis no Meijū (アナモルフォシスの冥獣?) (2010, one shot). Will be published in
France as Anamorphosis by Édition IMHO in September 2012.
- Industrial Revolution and World War
- Murder Techniques Throughout the Ages (すべての時代を通じての殺人術）
- "Du massacre chez IMHO". AnimeLand (in French). 2010-08-26. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Carnets de massacre - 13 contes cruels du Grand Edô". AnimeLand (in French). 2010-10-22. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "FRACTION chez IMHO". AnimeLand (in French). 2012-01-18. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Anamorphosis chez IMHO". AnimeLand (in French). 2012-02-02. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- Official website (Japanese)
- Shintaro Kago's blog (Japanese)
- An interview with Shintaro Kago conducted by Vice magazine
- TV interview with Shintaro Kago by Ondergrond.TV
- ‘Shintaro Kago’ en el XIX Salón del Manga de Barcelona (Spanish)