|Word/name||derived from Saul hebrew meaning = "the youngest" Transkription to Late Latin Silas, from Greek Σίλας Silas, from Aramaic|
|Region of origin||Greek|
|Related names||Sylvanus, Silvanus, Sylvain (French), Silvan (Dutch, German), Silvano (Italian)|
Silas is a common given name and a lesser-known surname. It is a cognate of Silvanus.
As a name today comes from the early Christian disciple Silas. He is consistently called "Silas" in Acts, but the Latin Silvanus, which means "of the forest," is always used by Paul and in the First Epistle of Peter; it is likely that "Silvanus" is the Romanized version of the original "Silas," or that "Silas" is the Greek nickname for "Silvanus." It has been suggested that Silas is the Greek version of the Aramaic "Seila," a version of the Hebrew "Saul". The Latin name "Silvanus" may be derived from pre-Roman Italian languages.
- Danish - Silas
- Dutch - Silas
- English - Silas, Sylas Si, Sy
- French - Sylvain
- German - Silvan
- Italian - Silvano
- Silas, a 1st-century leading figure among the early Christian community in Jerusalem
- Silas (Portuguese footballer), real name Jorge Fernandes
- Paul Silas, American professional basketball player and coach
- Paulo Silas, a Brazilian footballer
- Silas Chou, Hong Kong billionaire
- Silas Feitosa Jose De Souza, a Brazilian footballer
- Silas Tertius Rand Bill, Canadian politician
- Silas Deane, delegate to the American Continental Congress
- Silas Soule, American abolitionist
- Mar Shila (Silas) (fl. 503–520), Catholicos Patriarch of the Church of the East
- Silas, pen name of cartoonist Winsor McCay when working on the comic strip Dream of the Rarebit Fiend
- Silas Randall Timberlake, son of Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel
- Silas Weir Mitchell (actor), American character actor
- Xavier Silas, American basketball player
- Silas Robertson, actor, Duck Dynasty
- Silas House, American author
- Silas Adams, the intelligent, laconic henchman of Al Swearengen in the iconic HBO series Deadwood
- Silas P. Silas, a fictional character played by Method Man in the stoner comedy How High.
- Silas, a fictional character in the novel The Da Vinci Code
- King Silas Benjamin, a fictional character, played by Ian McShane from the television series Kings
- Silas, a fictional character in the novel The Graveyard Book
- The book and character Silas Marner
- Fictional character in the novel Uncle Silas written by J. Sheridan Le Fanu
- Silas Botwin is a main character in the popular Showtime series Weeds
- Silas is a character of the novels of Cecil Bødker. The Silas novels were also adapted into a German TV series for ZDF in 1981.
- Silas Blissett, a fictional character in Hollyoaks, played by Jeff Rawle
- Silas Lynch, a fictional character in The Birth of a Nation, played by George Siegmann
- Silas and the Winterbottoms, a novel by Stephen M. Giles.
- Silas Thatcher, a supporting antagonist in the 2012 video game Assassin's Creed III
- Silas, (A.K.A. Colonel Leland Bishop) a character from Transformers: Prime.
- Silas, a fictional character in a hit CW TV series The Vampire Diaries, the first immortal being on earth, he's the major antagonist in seasons 4 and 5
- Silas, a fictional character portrayed by Nicholas Hoult in the 2015 film Equals.
- Silas, a playable character from the Fire Emblem series
- Silas Greaves, a fictional bounty hunter and protagonist of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Fitzmyer, Joseph J. (1998). The Anchor Bible: The Acts of the Apostles. New York: Doubleday. p. 564. ISBN 0-385-49020-8.
- Cheyne, Thomas Kelly; Black, John Sutherland (1903). Encyclopædia Biblica: A Critical Dictionary of the Literary, Political and Religious History, the Archæology, Geography, and Natural History of the Bible, Volume 4. Toronto: George N Morang & Company Ltd. pp. 4514–4521.
- Smith, Barry D. "1st Letter To The Thessalonians". http://www.mycrandall.ca. Retrieved 12 September 2014. External link in
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|