Simon Barrett (filmmaker)
1978/1979 (age 38–39)|
Columbia, Missouri, US
|Occupation||Actor, producer, screenwriter|
Simon Barrett (born 1978) is an American actor, producer, and screenwriter known for his collaborations with Adam Wingard, including A Horrible Way to Die, V/H/S, V/H/S/2, You're Next, and The Guest. He is associated with the mumblegore movement and has worked with director Joe Swanberg several times.
Barrett has performed a number of roles in his films. He attributes this to the low budgets of his early films, in which he and frequent collaborator Adam Wingard were forced to act, as they could not afford to hire anyone else. Barrett credits his acting as informing his screenwriting. Although he said in October 2014 that he is too busy writing to direct, Barrett does not discount directing more projects in the future.
Among his early work was writing the 2004 TV film Frankenfish, and collaborating with director Alex Turner as writer on Dead Birds (2004) and Red Sands (2009), period horror films. He first collaborated with Wingard on A Horrible Way to Die (2010) and continued with You're Next, in which he wrote, produced, and acted. He co-wrote Autoerotic (2011) with co-directors Wingard and Joe Swanberg. The three collaborated again the same year on What Fun We Were Having.
In 2012, he wrote a segment in The ABCs of Death for Wingard and joined V/H/S as a writer, producer, and actor; he returned to the 2013 sequel to write and direct a segment. Eric England cast Barrett in Contracted (2013) after meeting him and being impressed with his ability to blend into crowds despite his charisma. Swanberg cast Barrett and Wingard in 24 Exposures (2013) after being inspired by their working relationship and differing personalities. Also in 2013, Barrett wrote and directed a radio play for Larry Fessenden's Tales from Beyond the Pale. The Guest (2014) was another collaboration between Wingard and Barrett. They said the thriller opened up additional doors to them, as they had previously been stereotyped as horror filmmakers.
|2009||Red Sands||No||Yes||co-producer||Matt Carson|
|2010||A Horrible Way to Die||No||Yes||Yes||Olsen|
|2011||You're Next||No||Yes||Yes||Tiger Mask|
|What Fun We Were Having||No||Yes||No||N/A|
|2012||V/H/S||No||Yes||Yes||Steve||Segment Tape 56|
|The ABCs of Death||No||Yes||No||Simon Barrett||segment Q is for Quack|
|2013||V/H/S/2||Yes||Yes||executive||Steve||Segment Tape 49|
|24 Exposures||No||No||No||Michael Bamfeaux|
|2018||Best Of The Worst||No||No||No||Simon Barrett||episode: "Plinketto #6"|
|2018||re:View||No||No||No||Simon Barrett||episode: "The Guest"|
- Whittaker, Richard (2014-09-27). "Fantastic Fest 2014: Simon Barrett Brings The Guest". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Acevedo, Aristotle. "Today We Learned #151:Simon Barrett". Nerdist. Nerdist. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Robinson, Tasha (2014-09-19). "Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett, and Dan Stevens on The Guest, and its place in their big plan". The Dissolve. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- "#PFF23: An Interview with Simon Barrett, Writer of The Guest [Interview]". Geekadelphia. 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2015-08-17.
- Fee, Rob (2013-06-03). "10 Weird Questions with 'V/H/S 2' & 'You're Next' Writer Simon Barrett". CBS Local Media. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Miska, Brad (2009-01-22). "Is 'Red Sands' Really a Sequel to 'Dead Birds'? What's Next?!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- "Episode 151:Today We Learned". Nerdist. 2016-09-16. Retrieved 2016-10-04.
- Janisse, Kier-La (2013-08-26). "EXPOSED: JOE SWANBERG on neo-late nite thriller 24 EXPOSURES". Fangoria. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Olsen, Mark (2012-09-21). "'V/H/S' makers go on tape about 'found footage' horror anthology". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Foutch, Haleigh (2013-06-08). "Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett Talk V/H/S/2, Returning to the Found Footage Format, Why They Enjoy Anthologies, Their Partnership, and More". Collider. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Foutch, Haleigh (2013-11-25). "Director Eric England Talks CONTRACTED, Body Horror, Casting Simon Barrett, Makeup Effects on a Limited Budget, Life after Film School, and More". Collider. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Dickson, Evan (2014-01-17). "5 Questions With '24 Exposures' Director Joe Swanberg!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- Truitt, Brian (August 28, 2013). "Simon Barrett haunts a college DJ with 'Dead Air'". USA Today. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (2015-02-04). "'Guest' Director Adam Wingard Goes Back to Horror with 'The Woods' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Sneider, Jeff (2014-09-15). "'The Guest's' Adam Wingard, Simon Barrett to Tackle 'I Saw the Devil' Remake (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved 2015-08-14.