Recording at Soundtrack Studios, Manhattan, New York (July 2010)
|Also known as||4MuLA|
|Born||May 1, 1973|
|Genres||Soundtrack, orchestral, ambient, electronic, experimental, bossanova, funk, jazz|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, arranger, record producer, music director|
|Instruments||Piano, synths, vocals, computers|
|Labels||Emunity Records, 1 Infinito|
|Associated acts||Lazybatusu, Racoon, Cibo Matto, Miho Hatori, Yuka Honda, Jihae, Monday Michiru, Groove Collective|
Simone Giuliani was born in Florence, Italy. In the early 90s he worked with the Italian punk-rock band Diaframma as a keyboard player, touring and recording four albums with them. A few years later he moved to the United States where he launched the independent record label Emunity Records and the electronic music acts Racoon and Lazybatusu.
Music (Production, Arrangement, Remixes & Soundtracks)
Giuliani collaborated with Miho Hatori from Cibo Matto and Gorillaz on the soundtrack for the movie Color Me Love and has worked with Grammy Award-winning producer Robert Sadin (Sting, Herbie Hancock) and avant-garde cellist Charles Curtis. Simone has worked on remixes for Beyoncé, Maxwell and Sia Furler. He produced Monday Michiru's album Brasilified featuring a remake of Marcos Valle's hit song Parabéns and Herbie Hancock's Tell Me a Bedtime Story. He collaborated with Cibo Matto on their album Hotel Valentine released on Sean Lennon's label Chimera Music.
Simone wrote the string arrangement for 'Ni Antes... Ni Después', the album by pop/R&B artist Aneeka, nominated as Best New Artist at the 2014 Latin Grammy Awards and New Artist of the Year at the 2015 Lo Nuestro Awards.
He collaborated with producer Jason Olaine on rare live recordings of Miles Davis, Sarah Vaughan, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong released by Concord Music Group and Monterey Jazz Festival Records.
Giuliani is currently working with New York-based composer/guitarist Ian Gittler on a forthcoming music project.
As a keyboard player/pianist Simone Giuliani has performed with Jovanotti, Yuka Honda's Machina Mia with guitarist/composer Nels Cline and bassist Devin Hoff, Miho Hatori's New Optimism, DJ Logic & Wu-Tang Clan, Timo Ellis, Monday Michiru & Little Louie Vega and the Grammy-nominated contemporary jazz group Groove Collective. Simone is a core member of the band The Happening with Jamie Catto (1 Giant Leap), Dave Randall (Faithless, Sinéad O'Connor), multimedia artist/musician Alex Forster and Renaud-Gabriel Pion (Björk, Antony and the Johnsons).
With singer/multimedia artist Jihae and Oscar winner Matthias Gohl, Simone is the producer of Let's Come Together, a musical peace movement supporting the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and NGOs in their fight for human rights in the midst of the current global refugee crisis.
Simone Giuliani is a member and Director of Music Programs of MoMENT NYC, a non-profit music education program founded by Genji Siraisi of Groove Collective presenting the history of music in New York City through live performances in public schools.
- Miles Davis Quintet Live at The 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival (MJF Records/Concord)
- Sarah Vaughan Live at The 1971 Monterey Jazz Festival (MJF Records/Concord)
- Louis Armstrong Live at The 1958 Monterey Jazz Festival (MJF Records/Concord)
- Dave Brubeck '50 Years of Dave Brubeck Live at The Monterey Jazz Festival' (MJF Records/Concord)
- Cibo Matto 'Hotel Valentine' (Chimera Music)
- Monday Michiru 'Brasilified' (Billboard Records)
- Smoove 'As If' remix (Acid Jazz Records)
- Natalie Williams 'The Way We Like It' remix (Eastide Records)
- Lazybatusu 'Otherview' (Emunity Records)
- Lazybatusu '00.03' (Emunity Records)
- The Best of MTV Lounge (Sony International)
- Glucklich V (Compost Records)
- Racoon 'Universal Vibes' (Rykodisc)
- Café del Mar Vol. 9 (CDM)
- Diaframma 'Sesso e Violenza' (Flying Records)
He is also known and sometimes credited as 4MuLA.
Simone Giuliani is endorsed by Lexicon Pro Audio®.
- Emunity Records/Emusic http://www.emusic.com/label/Emunity-Records-INgrooves-MP3-Download/100586.html
- "No Dogs Allowed" Miami New Times Magazine http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2001-07-12/music/no-dogs-allowed/
- Pandora Artist Lazybatusu http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/lazybatusu
- Miles Davis Quintet Live at The 1963 Monterey Jazz Festival http://allmusic.com/album/live-at-the-1963-monterey-jazz-festival-r1085949/credits
- The Spiritual Significance of Music, page 73. Xtreme Music, May 2011. http://xtrememusic.org/
- Discogs.com – Simone Giuliani aka 4MuLA http://www.discogs.com/search?type=all&q=Simone+Giuliani&corrected=1