Social Studies (Carla Bley album)
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Grog Kill Studio, Willow, New York|
|Carla Bley chronology|
The Allmusic review by Alex Henderson awarded the album 4½ stars and stated "Bley's risk-taking serves her quite well on Social Studies, an unorthodox and adventurous pearl that is as rewarding as it is cerebral". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded the album 3 stars stating "Social Studies shouldn't be missed: a bookish cover masks some wonderfully wry music".
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
|Tom Hull||B+ ()|
All compositions by Carla Bley except where noted.
- "Reactionary Tango (In Three Parts)" (Carla Bley, Steve Swallow) - 12:54
- "Copyright Royalties" - 6:45
- "Útviklingssang" - 6:31
- "Valse Sinistre" - 4:56
- "Floater" - 5:56
- "Walking Batteriewoman" - 4:24
- Carla Bley - organ, piano
- Michael Mantler - trumpet
- Carlos Ward - alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
- Tony Dagradi - tenor saxophone, clarinet
- Joe Daley - euphonium
- Gary Valente - trombone
- Earl McIntyre - tuba
- Steve Swallow - bass guitar
- D. Sharpe - drums
- Discogs album entry accessed August 3, 2010
- ECM/WATT discography accessed August 25, 2016
- Henderson, A. Allmusic Review accessed August 3, 2010
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 26. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Hull, Tom (28 February 2018). "Streamnotes". Tom Hull – on the Web. Retrieved 9 July 2020.