|Elevation||1,784 m (5,853 ft)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Soltaniyeh (Persian: سلطانيه, also Romanized as Solţānīyeh, Solţāneyyeh, Sultaniye, and Sultānīyeh; also known as Sa‘īdīyeh; Latin: Soltania/ Sultania) is the capital city of Soltaniyeh District of Abhar County, Zanjan Province, Azerbaijan, northwestern Iran.
At the 2006 census, its population was 5,684, in 1,649 families.
Soltaniyeh, located some 240 kilometres (150 mi) to the north-west of Tehran, was built as the capital of Mongol Ilkhanid rulers of Iran in the 14th century. Its name which refers to the Islamic ruler title sultan translates loosely as "the Regal".
Established on 1 April 1318 as Latin Metropolitan Archdiocese of Soltania (Latin and Curiate Italian) or Soltaniyeh.
Suppressed as residential see around 1450.
(all Roman Rite and European missionary members of the same Latin Order)
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Soltania
- Francesco da Perugia, Dominican Order O.P. (1318.08.01 – ?)
- Guillaume Adam, O.P. (1322.10.06 – 1324.10.26); previously Archbishop of Smirna (Smyrna) (Asian Turkey, now Izmir) (1318 – 1322.10.06); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Bar (Montenegro) (1324.10.26 – death 1341)
- Giovanni di Cori, O.P. (1329.08.09 – ?)
- Guglielmo, O.P. (? – ?)
- Giovanni di Piacenza, O.P. (1349.01.09 – ?)
- Tommaso, O.P. (1368.02.28 – ?)
- Domenico Manfredi, O.P. (1388.08.18 – ?)
- Giovanni di Gallofonte, O.P. (1398.08.26 – ?)
- Nicolò Roberti (1401.01.24 – ?); previously Bishop of Ferrara (Italy) (1393.02.04 – 1401.01.24)
- Thomas Abaraner, O.P. (1425.12.19 – ?)
- Giovanni, O.P. (1425.12.19 – ?)
Transformed at its suppression as residential see in 1450 into a Latin Titular archbishopric, which was itself suppressed in 1926.
It has had the following incumbents, of both the fitting archiepiscopal (intermediary) and the (lower) episcopal ranks :
- Titular Bishop Francisco Salazar, Friars Minor (O.F.M.) (1548.09.12 – ?)
- Titular Bishop: Bishop-elect Bernardino de Carmona (1551.07.10 – ?)
- Titular Archbishop Alberto Bitter (1922.10.09 – 1926.12.19)
- Dome of Soltaniyeh
- Ab Anbar
- List of Catholic dioceses in Central Asia
- Traditional water sources of Persian antiquity
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soltaniyeh.|
- Official website
- GCatholic, with residential and titular incumbent bio links
- Video of Soltaniyeh
- Farnoush Tehrāni, The Crown of All Domes, in Persian, Jadid Online, 31 December 2009,.
• Audio slideshow: (6 min 45 sec).
- Soltaniyeh can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3081931" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
- Dalrymple, William (1989). In Xanadu. pp. 128–129.
- سلطان گنبدها | جدید آنلاین. Jadidonline.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-10.
- Flash video. jadidonline.com
|Capital of Ilkhanate (Persia)