Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet
|Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet|
|Studio album by Sonny Rollins|
|Recorded||January 17, 1951 (#13)
December 17, 1951 (#5-12)
October 7, 1953 (#1-4)
Apex Studios, New York City
|Sonny Rollins chronology|
|Sonny Rollins Quartet 10"LP|
Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet (PRLP 7029) (also released as Sonny & the Stars) is a 1956 album by jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, featuring his earliest recordings for the Prestige label under his leadership, including four tracks performed by Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet (John Lewis, Milt Jackson, Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke), eight tracks where Kenny Drew and Art Blakey replace Lewis, Jackson, and Clarke, and one track with Miles Davis on piano. Tracks 5-11 and 13 were originally featured on the Prestige 10 inch LP Sonny Rollins Quartet (1952, PRLP 137), which is reissued in its entirety here. Track 12 was previously released on the various artists 10"LP Mambo Jazz (PRLP 135).
"I Know", featuring Miles Davis on piano, was recorded at the same session as four other tracks under Davis' name, using the same musicians, including the young Rollins. This was Davis' first recording session for Prestige Records, and his first working with Rollins. The producer Bob Weinstock tried to dissuade Davis from using Rollins at all, feeling he was not ready, but instead Davis persuaded the producer to let Rollins record a cut under his own name. The Davis tracks recorded that date were originally issued on the various artists 10"LP Modern Jazz Trumpets (PRLP 113), and are now more commonly available on the album Miles Davis and Horns (PRLP 7025).
The Allmusic review by Lindsay Planer describes the album as a "fresh and vibrant baker's dozen of selections... a vital component in any jazz enthusiasts' collection". Author and musician Peter Niklas Wilson called it "patchwork, but an interesting one".
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
- All compositions by Sonny Rollins except as indicated
- "The Stopper" - 2:59
- "Almost Like Being in Love" (Lerner, Loewe) - 3:26
- "No Moe" - 3:32
- "In a Sentimental Mood" (Ellington, Kurtz, Mills) - 3:20
- "Scoops" - 2:16
- "With a Song in My Heart" (Hart, Rodgers) - 3:08
- "Newk's Fadeaway" - 3:15
- "Time on My Hands" (Adamson, Gordon, Youmans) - 2:42
- "This Love of Mine" (Sol Parker, Henry W. Sanicola, Jr., Sinatra) - 2:26
- "Shadrack" (MacGimsey) - 2:35
- "On a Slow Boat to China" (Loesser) - 2:41
- "Mambo Bounce" - 2:25
- "I Know" (Davis) - 2:32
- Sonny Rollins – tenor saxophone
- John Lewis – piano
- Milt Jackson – vibes
- Percy Heath – bass
- Kenny Clarke – drums
- Sonny Rollins discography accessed 7 October 2009
- Prestige 10" LP discography, the Jazz Discography Project, accessed June 24, 2014
- January 17, 1951 Session Details, the Jazz Discography Project, accessed May 31, 2014
- "Miles: the Autobiography", Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe, 1989, pg.140
- Planer, L. Allmusic Review accessed 7 October 2009
- Wilson, Peter Niklas (2001). "Discography". Sonny Rollins: The Definitive Musical Guide. Berkeley Hills Books. p. 101. ISBN 1-893163-06-7.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 172. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.