|Original author(s)||Sean Schofield|
|Developer(s)||Spree Commerce, Inc., Spark Solutions|
4.4 / January 26, 2022
|Platform||Ruby on Rails|
|Type||Webshop, shopping cart|
|License||New BSD License|
Popular use cases
Popular technical use cases:
- Custom-built online store
- Headless commerce
- Multi-store dashboard
- Multi-tenant platform
Popular business use cases:
- Contextual Commerce
- Unified Retail & Online
- International E-Commerce
- Multi-vendor marketplace
- B2B or B2B2C E-Commerce
- Subscription E-Commerce
Popular 3rd party integrations:
- Payment processor
- 3PL integration
- ERP integration
- POS integration
- Analytics dashboard
- Tax calculation service
Official Spree extensions
Extensions are the primary mechanism for customizing a Spree site. They allow Spree developers to share reusable code with one another. Extensions simplify the process of adding features to ecommerce websites. Spree extensions include utilities for product subscription, asset management, marketing, admin reports, roles and permissions, gift cards & promotions, delivery slots, item returns, social media marketing, and one-page checkout.
Spree Commerce multi-vendor marketplace
Spree Commerce history
On July 1, 2011, Spree received $1.5 million in seed funding from AOL and True Ventures. On February 25, 2014 Spree raised an additional $5M in Series A funding led by Thrive Capital. Also participating were Vegas Tech Fund (led by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh), Red Swan (led by Bonobos CEO Andy Dunn) as well as existing investors True Ventures and AOL Ventures.
On September 21, 2015 it was acquired by First Data. After the First Data acquisition, developers from Spark Solutions and VinSol now maintain and develop the Spree Commerce Open Source project. Vinsol also develops Spree extensions.
In 2016 an OpenCommerce Conference was held in New York to showcase the newest e-commerce projects running on Spree.
- Spree Commerce Community github.com. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Spree at Ruby Gems rubygems.com. Retrieved March 03, 2020.
-  Red Badger "Building a Fortnum and Mason eCommerce store in two days"
-  GoDaddy chose Spree for their e-commerce solution for small businesses
-  Everlane builds an honest $100M+ fashion manufacturing business with Spree powered Ecommerce platform
- Spree extensions github.com. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Commerce, Virto. "17 best Multi Vendor Marketplace Platforms for Ecommerce 2022". virtocommerce.com. Retrieved 2022-06-25.
- Spree Raises $1.5 Million From True Ventures, Aol For Open Source eCommerce Platform techcrunch.com. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Spree Commerce Raises $5M in Series A Funding Spree Commerce blog. Retrieved June 3rd, 2015.
- "With Its Spree Commerce Buy, First Data Aims To Bolster Its Online Tech Foundations". digitaltransactions.net. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- OpenCommerce Conference 2016 opencommerceconf.org. Retrieved September 19, 2017.