|Original author(s)||Sean Schofield|
|Developer(s)||Spree Commerce, Inc.|
3.6.4 / September 6, 2018
|Platform||Ruby on Rails|
|Type||Webshop, shopping cart|
|License||New BSD License|
Spree Commerce is an open-source e-commerce solution based on Ruby on Rails. It was created by Sean Schofield in 2007 and has since had over 750 contributors and over 747 thousand downloads from RubyGems.
On July 1, 2011, Spree received $1.5 million in seed funding from AOL and True Ventures. On February 25, 2014 Spree raised an additional $5M in Series A funding led by Thrive Capital. Also participating were Vegas Tech Fund (led by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh), Red Swan (led by Bonobos CEO Andy Dunn) as well as existing investors True Ventures and AOL Ventures.
In 2016 an OpenCommerce Conference was held in New York to showcase newest e-commerce projects running on Spree 3.x version.
Extensions are the primary mechanism for customizing a Spree site. They allow Spree developers to share reusable code with one another. Using extensions, features which would otherwise consume quite a lot of effort and time can be easily added to a Spree website without having to built them from scratch. Extensive features like product subscription, asset management, marketing, admin reports, roles and permissions, gift cards & promotions, delivery slots, item returns, social media marketing, one page checkout and many more are easily available on GitHub for various Spree versions.
Spree Success Stories
Many well known and successful brands and startups are using Spree Commerce for their e-commerce businesses. The case studies are featured on the Spree Commerce Website and include: MeUndies, Garmentory, Huckberry, Superpedestrian, Mitchells, FCP Euro, Farmdrop, Packhelp, Nubikk, Greetabl, MilanStyle, Felix Gray, Southern Kitchen, Paravel.
- "Version 3.6.4". GitHub. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Spree Commerce Community github.com. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Spree at Ruby Gems rubygems.com. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Spree Raises $1.5 Million From True Ventures, Aol For Open Source eCommerce Platform techcrunch.com. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Spree Commerce Raises $5M in Series A Funding Spree Commerce blog. Retrieved June 3rd, 2015.
- Enterprise Spree presentation from Spree Conf Europe speakerdeck.com. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
-  Red Badger "Building a Fortnum and Mason eCommerce store in two days"
-  GoDaddy chose Spree for their e-commerce solution for small businesses
-  Everlane builds an honest $100M+ fashion manufacturing business with Spree powered Ecommerce platform
-  Urban Ladder chose Spree to introduce world class tech innovations that massively simplify furniture shopping
-  Brandless ships to 48 U.S. states in the first week of operation
- "With Its Spree Commerce Buy, First Data Aims To Bolster Its Online Tech Foundations". digitaltransactions.net. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- OpenCommerce Conference 2016 opencommerceconf.org. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Spree extensions github.com. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
-  MeUndies uses Spree to redefine how people shop for underwear with a subscription model
-  Garmentory luxury fashion marketplace grows 400% on Spree
-  Huckberry redefines Ecommerce for the outdoor adventurers with Spree, storytelling and data-driven marketing
-  Superpedestrian transforms any bike into an electric one with Spree powered Ecommerce
-  Mitchells chose Spree for their luxury fashion Ecommerce store with human touch
-  FCP Euro experienced 50% traffic growth after migrating to Spree
-  Farmdrop launches a Spree marketplace with fresh food
-  Packhelp uses Spree to allow Ecommerce owners to design and order their own custom packaging online
-  Nubikk’s ecommerce site, powered by Spree, undergoes overhaul, increasing conversion rates by 15% in 2 months
-  Greetabl.com business streamlined by a custom Spree Commerce implementation & fulfillment integration
-  MilanStyle.com got 45% conversion boost for 300k luxury & fashion products after migration to Spree Commerce
-  Spree allows Felix Gray to run a custom Ecommerce platform and process prescriptions for lenses
-  Spree combined with a custom content management system helped Southern Kitchen create a one-stop-shop for food lovers
-  Paravel chose Spree for their stylish, stable and scalable Ecommerce platform, perfect for a medium sized startup