St. Boris Peak
|St. Boris Peak|
St. Boris Peak from Mount Friesland, with 'the Synagogue' in the foreground.
|Elevation||1,665 m (5,463 ft)|
|Location||Livingston Island, South Shetland Islands, Antarctica|
St. Boris Peak (Vrah Sv. Boris \'vr&h sve-'ti bo-'ris\) rises to 1,665 m in Friesland Ridge, Tangra Mountains, Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. The peak is linked to Simeon Peak to the southwest by Paril Saddle and surmounts Huntress Glacier to northwest and west, and Macy Glacier to the southeast.
The feature is named after Czar St. Boris I of Bulgaria, 852-889 AD.
The peak is located at Coordinates: , which is 650 m south-southwest of the island's summit Mount Friesland (1700 m), 4.34 km northwest of Peshev Peak, 1.86 km north-northeast of Simeon Peak, 4.89 km southeast of Willan Nunatak and 3.85 km south-southeast of the summit of Pliska Ridge (Bulgarian topographic survey in 1995/96, and mapping in 1996, 2005 and 2009).
St. Boris Peak in fiction
The naming of this peak after a Bulgarian saint was reminded by the British press in connection with the victory of Boris Johnson in the London mayoral election on May 2, 2008, that particular day being St. Boris’s Day in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church.
- L.L. Ivanov. Livingston Island: Central-Eastern Region. Scale 1:25000 topographic map. Sofia: Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria, 1996.
- L.L. Ivanov et al. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Scale 1:100000 topographic map. Sofia: Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria, 2005.
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4
- Roland White. Atticus. The Sunday Times. May 4, 2008.
- St. Boris Peak. SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
- Bulgarian Antarctic Gazetteer. Antarctic Place-names Commission. (details in Bulgarian, basic data in English)
This article includes information from the Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria which is used with permission.
|This Livingston Island location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This climbing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|