St. Mary's Academy, Meerut
|St. Mary's Academy|
|Motto||Rectis Corde Laetitia|
(Joy to the Upright of Heart)
|Established||4 February 1952|
|Principal||Rev. Brother Dennis Joseph|
|Number of students||2000 (2014)|
|Average class size||50|
|Medium of language||English|
|Hours in school day||6|
|Campus size||400 acre|
|Houses||Gandhi, Nehru, Shastri, Tagore|
|Song||The School of St. Mary's|
St. Mary's Academy is a private Catholic convent school in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India. The school was established as a boys-only school on 2 February 1952 by Brother O'Brien, Brother Dunne, Brother Mahoney and Brother Fitz Patrick of the Society of the Brothers of St. Patrick.
The school admits pupils only in Grade 1 through a competitive entrance examination followed by an interview. The students take the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education in tenth grade and Indian School Certificate (ISC) thereafter. The principal is Rev. Brother Dennis Joseph
In the All-India Co-ed Schools rankings 2014, St. Mary's Academy was ranked first in Meerut and seventh in academic reputation all over India.
Since the early 1960s, the school has had its campus in the leafy suburbs of Meerut, next to the Mall Road and Gandhi Park. The 400-acre campus has sports facilities along with an auditorium.
Ties with other schools
From its foundation in 1952, the school has maintained ties with almost every school in the city by organising many events such as debates, cricket tournament, football tournament, and table tennis tournaments. It has been doing well by maintaining a perfect relationship with the St. Patrick's Academy, another Patrician Brothers' school in the city.
In the All India Co-ed Schools rankings 2014, St. Mary's Academy was ranked first in Meerut and seventh in academic reputation all over India.
The courses of study follow the pattern of the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and the Indian School Certificate (ISC) examination, conducted by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi. The subjects of study include English, Hindi, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography, Sanskrit, Art, Craft, Economics, Commerce, Accounting, Computer Science, and Socially Useful Productive Work and Community Service.
Extracurricular activities and sports
Debates, elocution contests and dramatics are some of the cultural activities. Sports include physical training, outdoor games, athletics and gymnastics.
Old boys of the school are part of EXMA (Ex-Marian Association). Networking groups on LinkedIn and Facebook are active.
Marians have gone on to achieve prominence in business, politics, government service, the armed forces of India, commerce, journalism, the arts and literature. Marians have founded and led companies while raising millions of dollars in funding. Some of the popular companies founded by Marians are WildCraft, Four Fountains Spa, CliQr Technologies, and Instart Logic.
- Abhishek Bansal, CEO and co-founder, ShadowFax
- Gaurav Dublish, co-founder, promoter and Director, WildCraft India
- Ashu Garg, General Partner, Foundation Capital
- Saurabh Garg, founder and Director, Four Fountains Spa
- Siddhanth Jain co-founder, PlaySimple Games
- Siddharth Jain co-founder, PlaySimple Games
- Gaurav Manglik, President and CEO, CliQr Technologies
- Manav Mital, CEO, Instart Logic
- Gaurav Nagpal, CFO-Shipping, Arcelor-Mittal
- Lt.Gen Harcharanjit Singh Panag, retired Army officer turned AAP political activist, father of Bollywood actress Gul Panag
- Pravesh Rana, model, VJ
- Yuvraj Tomar, founder and CEO, Thinqbot; Forbes Asia 30 Under 30
- "About Us – St. Mary's Academy Meerut". Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "The Patrician Brothers in India". Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "St. Mary's Academy;Meerut Rankings; Education World India". Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "EXMA official website".
- "Ashu Garg - Foundation Capital". Foundation Capital. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- Saurabh Garg
- Four Fountains Spa
- IndiaMART (27 January 2014), Four Fountains De-Stress Spa on IndiaMART Leaders of Tomorrow 2013, retrieved 19 November 2016
- Siddhanth Jain
- Siddharth Jain
- PlaySimple Games
- CliQr Technologies
- "The Truth behind Cisco's Acquisition of CliQr Technologies - Market Realist". marketrealist.com. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Forbes Asia 30 Under 30". Forbes. Retrieved 19 November 2016.