This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018)
|St Gerard's School|
|Headmistress||Deirdre Farrell, Junior school|
|Headmaster||Tom Geraghty, Senior school|
|Number of students||520 Senior School|
230 Junior School
|Average class size||24 Senior School, 26 Junior School|
|Campus size||60 acres|
|Colour(s)||Green & Blue|
|Song||Our Shining Alma Mater|
|School fees||€7,420 (2019/2020)|
St Gerard's School is a lay Catholic co-educational independent day school in Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland. A fee-charging school, it is administered by a Board of Governors as a charitable trust. As of 2019, the student population was about 770 including its Senior School, Junior School, and the Montessori.
In 2019, St. Gerard's School was named top school in County Wicklow, and 29th in Ireland.
John James founded the school in 1918. After completing his university degree in 1904 he converted to the Roman Catholic faith. His vision of education emphasized "the dignity of each individual and the development of the whole person". The school is named after Gerard Majella, patron saint of the school.
In March 2021 in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, twenty teachers from the St. Gerard's Primary and Secondary School received vaccinations from the Beacon Hospital. At that time, less than 20% of the Irish population had been vaccinated, with many vulnerable and elderly people waiting to be vaccinated. The head of the Irish Health Service and the Minister for Justice expressed "frustration" at the actions of the Beacon Hospital which violated policies regarding the use of surplus vaccines. Micheál Martin, Ireland's Taoiseach, labelled the hospital's actions "repugnant". The Irish Times noted that the children of the chief executive of the Beacon Hospital attend St. Gerard's.
- Charley Boorman, actor
- Jack Conan, Ireland rugby union international
- Emma Hannigan, author and blogger
- John Harbison, first State Pathologist of Ireland
- Andrew Hozier-Byrne, musician
- Louis le Brocquy, artist
- Sir Helenus Milmo, QC, lawyer and High Court judge
- Frank O'Reilly, Irish banker, businessman
- Tony Smurfit, CEO of Smurfit Kappa
- Elena Tice, dual Ireland women's cricket and field hockey international
- "School Detail - St. Gerard's School". Department of Education and Skills. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "StackPath". St. Gerard's School. Archived from the original on 8 May 2018. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "About Us - Welcome". St. Gerard's School. Archived from the original on 15 November 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Data on Individual Schools". Department of Education and Skills. Archived from the original on 14 July 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Inspection Report - St. Gerard's School" (PDF). education.ie. Department of Education. February 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 September 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- Locke, Martin (2012). "St Gerard's fee paying school gets €1.8m from state". Bray People. Archived from the original on 30 March 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "St Gerard's named top school in county". Bray People. 4 October 2019.
- "History - St. Gerard's School". www.stgerards.ie. Archived from the original on 5 March 2018. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- Power, Jack; Clarke, Vivienne. "Teachers from Co Dublin school vaccinated in Beacon Hospital". The Irish Times. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Beesley, Arthur; McGee, Harry; O'Halloran, Marie; Clarke, Vivienne. "Beacon apologises for vaccine controversy and starts independent review". The Irish Times. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Passed/Failed: An education in the life of Charley Boorman". independent.co.uk. The Independent. 18 February 2010. Archived from the original on 26 September 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Jack Conan eager to grab his biggest opportunity yet". irishtimes.com. Irish Times. 10 February 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "'My only regret is that I have to leave now' – Emma Hannigan in her own words". irishtimes.com. The Irish Times. 7 March 2018. Archived from the original on 2 March 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Obituary: Dr John Harbison". Sunday Independent. 20 December 2020. Retrieved 22 December 2020.
- "St. Gerard's In The News". stgerards.ie. St Gerard's School. 22 March 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- Blasco, Ivan (1 July 2011). "Portrait of an Irish Artist: Louis le Brocquy".
- "Sir Helenus Milmo, QC". Geni.com. 24 August 1908.
- "Obituaries - Frank O'Reilly, Kildare and Fairyhouse". meathchronicle.ie. Meath Chronicle. 31 August 2013. Archived from the original on 26 September 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- Canniffe, Mary (18 October 1996). "Fathers's Son". The Irish Times. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Glenealy pulls out all the stops for hockey hero". independent.ie. Independent News & Media. 18 August 2018. Archived from the original on 26 September 2019. Retrieved 26 September 2019.