Honey’s track record as a navigator includes a victory in the 2005-06 Volvo Ocean Race onboard ABN Amro I and eleven wins in Transpac races across the Pacific Ocean. He has held the speed record for sailing around the World, and across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. He was named U.S. Sailing’s 2010 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year for his critical role in cutting the nonstop circumnavigation record to 48 days aboard the 103-foot French trimaran Groupama 3.
As a businessman, he is the father of consumer on-screen navigation, including the automotive navigation systems used around the world, with his company Etak. The initial start-up funding came from Nolan Bushnell, famous for starting Atari and Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theater.
"[Co-founder Stan Honey] was doing military-related research at SRI International in 1983 when he sailed with Pong inventor and Atari founder Nolan Bushnell to victory in a Transpac race aboard 'Charley', Bushnell's new 67ft racing yacht. Bushnell was impressed with Honey's navigational electronics and asked whether he had any other ideas. Honey suggested a car navigation system. Bushnell gave him $500,000 in seed money, and digital-mapping firm Etak (named after a Polynesian term for navigation) was born."
With his company Sportvision, he invented the technology that displays the first-down line on your TV in American Football, the "glowing" hockey pucks, baseball strikes, and the real-time "player cards" in international football (soccer).
- Ellison, Ben. "STAN HONEY: SAILOR-GEEK EXTRAORDINAIRE". Yachting. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Dickson, Glenn (2000-07-24), "Charting Sportvision's course", Broadcasting & Cable, archived from the original on 2017-02-28, retrieved 2008-05-23
- Squadron, Bill. "The Bonus: The story behind football's innovative yellow first down line". SI.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- Thomas, Pete (2007-06-22). "Filmed crew is looking for a Hollywood ending". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "Haines Keeps Morning Light on Course". www.sailingworld.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "WINNERS OF THE 33rd ANNUAL SPORTS EMMY® AWARDS | The Emmy Awards - The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences". emmyonline.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "America's Cup wins Sports Emmy Award for its Mobile App >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News". Scuttlebutt Sailing News. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "The Augmented Reality America's Cup". IEEE Spectrum: Technology, Engineering, and Science News. Retrieved 2017-06-10.
- Guthrie, Julian. "Sally and Stan Honey, America's Cup couple". SFGate. Retrieved 27 February 2017.