Stanley Phillip Gold
September 10, 1942
|Education||University of California, Los Angeles (A.B.)|
USC Gould School of Law (J.D)
|Board member of||Chair, Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles|
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
chairman emeritus, University of Southern California
Walt Disney Company NYSE: DIS(formerly)
Ansell, Ltd ASX: ANN (alternate)
L.A. Gear, Inc.
|Spouse(s)||Ilene Carol Gold, née Glasberg|
|Children||Charles and Jennifer|
Stanley Phillip Gold (born September 10, 1942) is the former president and CEO of Shamrock Holdings, Roy E. Disney's private investment company, from 1985 to 2013, and is currently serving as chairman of its board of directors. He was on the Walt Disney Company board, in 1984 and during 1987–2003. He and Roy resigned to publicly campaign for the ousting of then-CEO and chairman Michael Eisner. He had also helped to both oust former CEO Ron W. Miller, and hire Eisner, in 1984. He is a past chairman of the USC board of trustees, and of the University of Southern California Law School, and has been a significant political contributor.
Early life and education
Gold was born to a Jewish family in Los Angeles, California. He grew up in South Los Angeles, near Dorsey High School. The family moved to the San Fernando Valley when he was a teenager. After graduation from Van Nuys High School, he entered University of California, Berkeley. There, he dated his future wife, Ilene. He completed an A.B. in political science at U.C.L.A. and, in 1967, earned a law degree at University of Southern California, then completed post-graduate work at Cambridge University, England.
He has served as president of Shamrock Broadcasting; president, then chairman, of Central Soya; chairman of Enterra Corporation, chairman of Israeli investment firm Koor Industries Ltd. (NYSE: KOR), and chairman of Tadiran, among other positions.
At a banquet honoring U.S. Ambassador John Marshall Evans, on 4 March 2007; Gold pledged $100,000 to the USC Institute of Armenian Studies. In 2001, he pledged $500,000 to establish the Martin Gang Scholarship Fund at Hebrew Union College; Roy and Patty Disney pledged an additional $100,000.
Gold has been a contributor to American federal political campaigns for many years, largely contributing to Democrats, both candidates and organizations, such as the (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and Democratic National Committee); Gold has also donated to some Republican party candidates, including George W. Bush, Robert Dole, Richard Lugar, Mitt Romney, Arlen Specter, William Weld, and Pete Wilson). OpenSecrets reported donations of $238,000 during 1993 to 17 December 2008, including a few non-federal contributions.
He is a supporter of the Two-state solution in the Middle East. In April 2013, Gold was one of 100 prominent American Jews who sent a letter to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, urging him to "work closely" with Secretary of State John Kerry, "to devise pragmatic initiatives, consistent with Israel's security needs, which would represent Israel's readiness to make painful territorial sacrifices for the sake of peace."
- Sigma Alpha Mu
- Wilshire Boulevard Temple, past board member
- University of Southern California, chairman of the board of trustees; mentor to university president, Steven B. Sample
- Greenberg, Brad A. (October 18, 2007). "New Chairman of the Jewish Federation: I'm 'gonna make it relevant'". The Jewish Journal. Archived from the original on 2009-07-06. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Taylor, John (1987). Storming the magic kingdom : wall street, the raiders, and the battle for Disney (1st ed.). New York: Knopf. ISBN 0-394-54640-7. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Stewart, James B. (2005). Disney war. New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-684-80993-9. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Israel Policy Forum: "Prominent US Jews Support Two States, Urge Abbas to Set Positive Tone" Archived 2014-11-07 at the Wayback Machine September 25, 2013
- Family Tree Legends
- Lewis, Wayne (March 2007). "A Community Celebrates A Hero. Supporters give more than $1.2 million to USC College's Institute of Armenian Studies". USC College : News : March 2007 : Institute of Armenian Studies. University of Southern California. Archived from the original on 2008-02-24. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
Stanley Gold, chairman of the USC Board of Trustees, challenged the 1,000 attendees to expand their support for the institute.
- "Ilene and Stanley P. Gold, distinguished benefactors and community leaders, are honored at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion's (HUC-JIR) 125th Anniversary Gala". HUC-JIR News. Hebrew Union College. October 28, 2001. Archived from the original on 2002-08-18. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
The Gold Family presents an additional challenge gift of $500,000 for the creation of the Martin Gang Scholarship Fund for HUC-JIR.
- Seliktar, Ofira (2002). "Chapter 8: Lurching to the Left. Responding to Barak's Vision of the Peace Process". Divided We Stand: American Jews, Israel, and the Peace Process. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 181. ISBN 978-0-275-97408-4. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Hareetz: "100 American Jewish leaders urge Netanyahu to show readiness to make 'painful territorial sacrifices'" by Chemi Shalev April 3, 2013
Gold, Stanley P. "AN OPEN LETTER TO THE BOYS..." Stories – Stanley Gold's story. Timo Pantsari – Webmaster of Porsche Net. Archived from the original on 2000-05-30. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
I'm beginning to feel like a Porsche aficionado (my wife still calls me a "Porsche Nut")... We arrived safe and sound at The Factory; turned in our paperwork; bought a few more Porsche items in the gift shop and brought to an end three weeks that will always be known in our home as Porsche's Grand Tour of Italy.