Steam locomotives of the 21st century
The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with the United Kingdom and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Steam locomotives of the 21st century fall into two broad categories: those that use advanced steam technology and are designed to be commercially competitive with diesel locomotives; and those built to more traditional designs for hauling tourist trains. Even locomotives in the second case likely use some modern methods and materials. These include welded boilers, to simplify construction, and roller bearings to improve reliability. For safety reasons, asbestos is not used for boiler lagging and is replaced by other materials, such as glass fibre. If the locomotive runs on main lines, safety systems such as the Train Protection & Warning System (TPWS) and an On-Train Monitoring Recorder (OTMR) must be fitted.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2012)
- 5AT Advanced Technology Steam Locomotive. This project was officially cancelled in March 2012 due to lack of support
- SJS Odin Class 2-2-2 "Odin" replica, built between 2004-2018
- LNER Peppercorn Class A1 60163 Tornado, built 2008
- GWR Firefly Class 2-2-2 replica, built 2005
- GWR steam railmotor project
- Lyd 2-6-2T Replica Lynton & Barnstaple loco built by the Ffestiniog Railway
- Baldwin Lyn 2-4-2T 762 Baldwin 2-4-2T Lyn for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway
- Schenectady Locomotive Works No. 63 Leviathan replica 4-4-0, built 2009
- Steam into History 4-4-0 "York", built in 2013 by the Kloke Locomotive Works
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- BR Standard Class 2 2-6-2T 84030 project - tank conversion of 2-6-0 78059
- BR Standard Class 3 2-6-2T 82045 project
- BR Standard Class 3 2-6-0 77021 project
- BR Standard Class 6 4-6-2 72010 Hengist project newbuild member of class of original unbuilt class-members for Southern region.
- GCR Class 2 (LNER Class D7) 4-4-0 567 project
- GER Class H88 (LNER Class D16/2) 4-4-0 8783 Phoenix project
- GER Class M15 (LNER Class F5) 2-4-2T 67218 project
- GWR 1000 County 4-6-0 1014 County of Glamorgan project. Replica of original engine.
- GWR 2900 Saint 4-6-0 2999 Lady of Legend project a conversion from 4942 Maindy Hall
- GWR 3800 County 4-4-0 3840 County of Montgomery
- GWR 4700 Class 2-8-0 4709 project
- GWR 6800 Grange 6880 Betton Grange project
- LB&SCR H2 class 4-4-2 project This project however is a replica of the last Atlantic 32424 Beachy Head and will incorporate some parts from the original locomotive.
- LMS Patriot Class 4-6-0 5551 The Unknown Warrior Replica of original engine (the original engine was never given a name).
- LNER Class B17 4-6-0 61662 Manchester United project - will use original tender
- LNER Class B17 4-6-0 61673 Spirit of Sandringham project
- LNER Class P2 2-8-2 2001 Cock O' the North project Replica of original engine in streamlined condition.
- LNER Class P2 2-8-2 2007 Prince of Wales project. New build member of class in original unstreamlined condition.
- LNER Class V4 2-6-2 3403. Construction of the locomotive is expected to commence following the completion of No. 2007 Prince of Wales. Drawings for the engine have been acquired and construction is expected to begin following the completion of the P2. Parts for the engine have already been acquired which include tyres for the engines pony, cartazzi and 5ft 8in driving wheels. A chimney has also been acquired alongside two speedometer drive generators. The name of the engine is also yet to be decided.
- LNWR George the Fifth Class 4-4-0 2013 Prince George project
- NER Class O (LNER Class G5) 0-4-4T replica of original class member No. 1759 project
- Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie 0-4-4-0T No. 8 James Spooner. A replica of the original locomotive being built to replace Earl of Merioneth
- Catch Me Who Can 2-2-0 replica. Richard Trevithick locomotive of 1808. (Able to turn wheels under steam when set on blocks, but not yet ready to run on rails since braking system not fitted, yet)
- LNWR Bloomer Class 2-2-2 670 replica. Construction began in 1986; it was 90% complete by 1990 but has never been finished. Work recommenced in 2017 and is hoped to be finished in 2019.
- PRR T1 4-4-4-4 duplex No. 5550: The Pennsylvania Railroad built 52 4-4-4-4 duplex locomotives for passenger service, and the last one was scrapped in 1956. The Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Steam Locomotive Trust was created to construct a fully functional 53rd member of the T1 class. The new T1, to be numbered 5550, is expected to be completed by the year 2030. The project cast the first major component - a Boxpox driver - in February 2016. Since then, they have completed constructing the cab, prow, and have even acquired the last PRR long haul tender for use with the 5550.
- WW&F No. 11: The Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railway Museum is constructing a replica of No.7, a Baldwin 28-ton 2-4-4T Forney locomotive (Baldwin classification 10-16 1/4 C-5a) which was scrapped in 1937 along with the rest of the railroad, being badly damaged in the 1931 Wiscasset roundhouse fire. The new locomotive is being constructed traditional techniques and tools, such as a riveted boiler. The project has been underway since 2007. Completed components include the bell and builder's plate, as well as wheel center castings and drive pins. No scheduled completion date is set.
This section possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur. Information must be verifiable and based on reliable published sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- LMS Fowler 2-6-4T 42424. Work on this locomotive will begin after the completion of 45551 The Unknown Warrior.
- GNR Class J23 (LNER Class J50) 0-6-0T 8905 project
- LB&SCR Class E2 0-6-0T #110 project
- LNER Class K3 2-6-0. Planned to be built after the V3 & V4 are completed.
- LNER Class V3 2-6-2T. Planned to be built following completion of the V4.
- GWR 2221 County Class 4-4-2T
- L&YR Hughes Dreadnought Class 4-6-0 4-6-0
- LNER Class J39 0-6-0 64960 project
- LNWR Claughton Class 4-6-0 6004 Princess Louise project
- N&W 2-8-8-2 Y6b 2174 replica project
- NCC Class WT 58 project
- "Locomotives". Dlm-ag.ch. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- Wardale, David (March 2012). "End of the Line - Time is Called on the 5AT Project". Steam Railway Magazine. pp. 90–94.
- "The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust". A1steam.com. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- "Centre Guide | Broad Gauge Railway". Didcot Railway Centre. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "GWR Steam Railmotor and Trailer Project". GWR Steam Railmotor and Trailer Project. Great Western Society Limited. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Lyd - A New Lynton & Barnstaple Locomotive. Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways. ISBN 978 0 901848 09 3.
- "Recreating a unique Baldwin narrow-gauge Locomotive from 1898". 762club.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Kloke Locomotive Works, LLC". Leviathan63.com. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- "Restoration/conversion of "84030"". British Railways Standard Class 2MT. Bluebell Railway. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "News Update - November 2015". The 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust. The 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "News Roundup March 8, 2015: 3MT 77021". New Build Steam. Newbuildsteam.com. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Building BR Standard Class 6 'CLAN' 72010 'HENGIST'". THE ‘CLAN’ PROJECT. The Standard Steam Locomotive Trust Company LTD. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "News Output". GCR Rolling Stock Trust. Archived from the original on 2013-12-28. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "GCR 567 Loco Group". Gcr567loco.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Category Archives May 4, 2015: 8783 Phoenix". New Build Steam. Newbuildsteam.com. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "Engineering News 28th November 2015". The Holden F5 Locomotive Trust. The Holden F5 Locomotive Trust. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "1014 County Project Home Page". Gwcountyproject.org.uk. 1964-09-20. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Welcome to the Great Western Society Saint Project". Thesaintproject.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- "Churchward County Trust". Churchward County Trust. Retrieved 2018-05-12.
- "News | Latest News". Didcot Railway Centre. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- "Building the 81st Grange". Betton Grange 6800. 6880 Betton Grange (Society) Ltd. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Bluebell Railway Atlantic Group". Bluebell-railway.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Creating the new Royal British Legion Endorsed National Memorial Engine". Lms-patriot.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-25.
- "Project Overview - Engine 61662". Engine 61662 Appeal "Manchester United". Engine 61662 Appeal. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "B17 Steam Locomotive Trust". The B17 Steam Locomotive Trust (Spirit of Sandringham). B17 Steam Locomotive Trust. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Doncaster P2 Locomotive Trust". Doncaster P2 Locomotive Trust Cock O' The North. Doncaster P2 Locomotive Trust - Cock O' The North LNER 2001. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Project to build the new Gresley class P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales". 207 Prince of Wales. The P2 Steam Locomotive Company. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "News Archives - The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust". The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- https://www.a1steam.com/2018/09/06/v4-design-reaches-pre-launch-stage/ V4 reaches pre-launch stages
- "Build Progress to Date - LNWR George the Fifth Steam Locomotive Trust". LNWR George the Fifth Steam Locomotive Trust. LNWR George the Fifth Steam Locomotive Trust. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Home". G5locomotive.co.uk. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "James Spooner rides again". Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Johnson, Peter (April 2016), An all-new 'Fairlie' for the FR?, Steam Railway Magazine, p. 40
- Lamont, Charles. "Catch Me Who Can". www.catchmewhocan.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "Tyseley's Bloomer may steam in 2019 – and go main line!". Heritage Railway. 2017-04-07. Retrieved 2017-07-25.
- "FAQ Section - The T1 Trust". The Pennsylvania Railroad T1 Steam Locomotive Trust. 2016. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Pennsylvania T1 Trust casts new driving wheel". Trains Magazine. Kalmbach Publishing Co. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- Z199 Australian Steam
- "International New Build Steam". New Build Steam (Blog post). United Kingdom (published 2017-05-13). 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "LMS-Patriot Company announces plans to build a new Fowler 2-6-4T after 'The Unknown Warrior' is completed". The LMS Patriot Project. LMS-Patriot Company Ltd. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- "The J50 Group". The J50 Group. The J50 Group. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "LB&SCR E2 No. 110 Society". LB&SCR E2 No. 110 Society. Retrieved 2016-05-09.
- https://www.a1steam.com/2018/09/06/v4-design-reaches-pre-launch-stage/ K3 to be built alongside V3 & V4 projects
- https://www.a1steam.com/2016/10/?cat=7 V3 & V4 newbuilds
- "Didcot Railway Centre | News Archive 2010". www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- "News Archive 2016". Lancashire & Yorkshire Society. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- "J39 Locomotive Group | Wix.com". J39 Locomotive Group. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- "LMS Locomotive Trust New Build Princess Louise 6004 in Southport". www.lmsnewbuild.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-08-15.