This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Minister President of Baden-Württemberg|
10 February 2010 – 12 May 2011
|Preceded by||Günther Oettinger|
|Succeeded by||Winfried Kretschmann|
|Chairman of the CDU Baden-Württemberg|
20 November 2009 – 30 March 2011
|Preceded by||Günther Oettinger|
4 April 1966 |
Pforzheim, West Germany
|Spouse(s)||Susanne Verweyen-Mappus (m. 2001)|
|Alma mater||University of Hohenheim|
Stefan Mappus (born 4 April 1966) is a former German politician from the Christian Democratic Union (CDU). He was the 8th Minister President of the state of Baden-Württemberg 2010-2011 and chairman of the CDU Baden-Württemberg 2009-2011.
After losing the Baden-Württemberg state election, 2011 Mappus announced his resignation of the party chair. Currently, he is a Member of the Board of Advisors of the Global Panel Foundation, a respected NGO that works behind the scenes in crisis areas around the world.
The public prosecutor's office in Stuttgart opened an investigation on 11 July 2012 against prime minister Stefan Mappus, several other ministers and Dirk Notheis, former head of Morgan Stanley Germany, in connection with the state's controversial purchase of a stake in utility Energie Baden-Wuerttemberg. Morgan Stanley's German operations, headed by Notheis, in 2010 advised Baden-Württemberg on the purchase of a roughly 45% stake in EnBW from French state-controlled utility Électricité de France for nearly 4.7 billion euros (about $5.77 billion) valuing the asset at a multiple of 6x operating profits. Also advising was Stuttgart law firm Gleiss Lutz. The transaction was signed four weeks after a decision by the German federal parliament to extend the maturities of existing nuclear power plants for another ten years on top of their existing license. Four months after the transaction, on 15 March 2011, the accident in a nuclear power plant in Fukushima/Japan happened, resulting in the decision by the Federal government to phase out nuclear generation, which adversely affected EnBW and its value. In addition to several fairness opinions as to the valuation of EnBW provided to the stakeholders at the time of the transaction, in total seven reviews over the EnBW share valuation were conducted over the process of the investigation. The dominating majority of reviews came to the conclusion that the price paid for the EnBW shares was fair. A review conducted by Professor Wolfgang Ballwieser deviated from the valuation consensus, however fell into great controversy after a material miscalculation of approximately €1b was discovered in Ballwieser’s valuation
The investigation was withdrawn by the State Attorney in October 2014 without any obligations at all to Mappus and the other individuals. Stefan Mappus and all others were cleared and informed in letters addressed to their respective lawyers dated 29 October 2014, in which they were also granted the right to make claims for damages.
- "Werdegang von Stefan Mappus". Personal Website (in German). Stefan Mappus. Retrieved 10 February 2010.
- "Mappus übernimmt Amt des Ministerpräsidenten" (in German). Spiegel Online. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 10 February 2010.
- "Global Panel Foundation - Meeting the World in Person". globalpanel.org. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Morgan Stanley executive investigated in Germany, KRGV.com, 12 July 2012
- "EDF in Poland - News". poland.edf.com. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Brost, Marc (24 January 2014). "Stefan Mappus: Im Schwabensümpfle". Retrieved 17 June 2017 – via Die Zeit.
- Germany, Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Stuttgart,. "EnBW-Deal: Hat sich Gutachter um eine Milliarde Euro verrechnet?". Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Germany, Stuttgarter Nachrichten, Stuttgart,. "EnBW-Affäre: Neue Vorwürfe gegen Gutachter der Staatsanwaltschaft". Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Die Zeit, January 24, 2014
- Krauth, Claudia (29 October 2014). "Ermittlungsverfahren wegen des EnBW-Deals mit Einstellungsverfugung abgeschlossen". www.staatsanwaltschaft-stuttgart.de. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- Nadine Schmid, Viola Kraus (2010-02-08). "Enzberger zu Stefan Mappus: "Immer noch einer von uns"". Pforzheimer Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- Haudrauf muss Harmonie stiften at the Wayback Machine (archived 28 October 2009) von Andreas Müller, Stuttgarter Zeitung vom 27. Oktober 2009
|Minister-President of Baden-Württemberg