Steve Hoffman (American football)
|Born:||September 8, 1958|
Camden, New Jersey
|Career highlights and awards|
Steve Hoffman (born September 8, 1958) is an American football coach. He has more than two decades of NFL coaching experience.
Hoffman attended Dickinson College, where he played quarterback, running back, wide receiver, placekicker and punter for the football team and was also a member of the Raven's Claw Secret Society. He went on to punt for the Washington Federals of the United States Football League in 1983, while also attending training camp with the Washington Redskins, the Seattle Seahawks and the New Orleans Saints.
Hoffman won three Super Bowl titles with the Cowboys, during which seasons his kickers converted a collective 82.3 percent of their field goal attempts. During his time with the franchise, the team's kickers established 15 separate club records, including every single-season record in team history.
Hoffman's contract was not renewed at the end of the 2004 season.
Hoffman took a year off from coaching in 2005, although he did consulting work for various NFL teams while also working with his own kicking and punting tutorial business.
In 2007, Hoffman was hired as assistant special teams coach for the Miami Dolphins. He worked under first-year head coach Cam Cameron and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong in his first season with the team, and was one of only two coaches initially retained after Cameron's firing in the 2008 offseason.
During Hoffman's first season with the team, kicker Jay Feely set the single-season franchise record for field goal percentage at 91.3.
Kansas City Chiefs
Hoffman accepted the position of Special Teams Coach with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009.
On February 18, 2013, Hoffman was hired as an assistant special teams coach for the Tennessee Titans. He was promoted to special teams coordinator on October 3, 2016 after Bobby April was relieved of his duties.
- Whitt, Richie (December 7, 2006). "Kicking and Screaming". Dallas Observer. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Raiders hire assistant Steve Hoffman". ESPN.com. February 3, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Tennessee Titans hire Steve Hoffman as special teams assistant". NFL.com. Feb 18, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Sessler, Marc (October 3, 2016). "Titans fire special teams coordinator Bobby April". NFL.com. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Wolf, Jason (Jan 31, 2018). "Titans name 7 assistant coaches, including 2 holdovers from Mike Mularkey's staff". The Tennessean. Retrieved August 17, 2018.