Steve Karmen (born January 31, 1937) is an American composer, most famous for several jingles. Among his better known works are the New York State song, "I Love New York", the jingle Here Comes the King, the Exxon Song[which?] (1976), and Wrigley Spearmint Gum / Carry The Big Fresh Flavor (1973). He also composed several music scores for motion pictures during the 1960s, and performed briefly as a Calypso singer, achieving some recognition in Trinidad during that time. Karmen is the recipient of 16 Clio Awards.
Life and career
Karmen was born in the Bronx, New York. Steve was unique among jingle writers. Unlike other composers, who were paid a flat price for their jingles, Steve was the only one of his peers to receive royalties every time one of his jingles was performed on TV or Radio. His informal industry title "The King of Jingles" may have been given to him because of this extraordinary business ability to retain publishing rights.
He was born into a conservative family. His father was from Russia. Karmen grew up with Bobby Darin, and played with him in a band in the 1950s. They met while they were at the Bronx High School of Science. He played saxophone and guitar.
List of Jingles
This list of jingles by Karmen only includes those composed from 1968 to the beginning of 1980. (Karmen, 1980).
- Breakaway In A Wide-Trackin' Pontiac
- Budweiser Beer / Bud Is The King Of Beers...But You Know That
- Your Next Car Is A Chrysler
- Beneficial Finance / At Beneficial (Doot! Doot!) You're Good For More
- Plymouth Makes It
- There's Nothing Like The Face Of A Kid Eating A Hershey Bar
- Tijuana Smalls [cigarettes] / You Know Who You Are
- Nationwide Insurance / Call Nationwide, 'Cause Nationwide Is On Your Side
- Chrysler Plymouth Comin' Thru
- The More You Know, The More You'll Want Delco
- Budweiser Beer / When You Say Budweiser, You've Said It All
- Falstaff Brewing Company / Falstaff Beer, For Guys Who Like It
- Budweiser Beer / Here Comes The King
- Michelob Beer / The Michelob Drinking Song
- National Beer / The Land Of Pleasant Living
- Diet Rite Cola / Everybody Likes It
- U.S. Brewers Association / Pitch In To Clean Up America
- Beneficial Finance / It's Great To Know You're Good For More
- General Tires / Sooner Or Later You'll Own Generals
- Budweiser Malt Liquor / The First Malt Liquor Good Enough To Be Called Budweiser
- Colt .45 Malt Liquor / A Completely Unique Experience
- Colt .45 Malt Liquor / You'll Be Sorry For All The Time You Wasted
- Fresca / Tastes Like A Soft Drink
- R.C. Cola / It's Right For You
- Doublemint Gum / Doublemint Will Do It
- Hush Puppies Are Dumb
- Pontiac / Stand Up
- Sunoco Oil Corp. / I Can Be Very Friendly
- Juicy Fruit Gum / Let's Pick A Pack
- Wrigley's Spearmint Gum / Carry The Big Fresh Flavor
- Ozark Air Lines / We're Big On That
- Cadillac - A Standard For The World
- Michelin Tires / We Made It First, We Make It Last
- Wrigley's Spearmint Gum / You'll Like The Big, Long-Lasting Flavor
- Buc-Wheats Cereals / Feelin' Like A Million Bucks
- Northwest Orient Airlines / We Give You Half The World
- Trans World Airlines / A Taste Of Europe—Trans World Service
- Dial Soap / Aren't You Glad You Use Dial
- Purina Cat Food / Purina In The Little Blue Can
- Scholl's Sandals / The Comfortable Life
- Michelob Beer / Weekends Were Made For Michelob
- Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors / Farrell's Is Fabulous Fun
- Burry's Cookies / The Burry's Blues
- The Detroit News / You Haven't Read The Paper Until You've Read The News
- Great Adventure Amusement Park (now Six Flags Great Adventure) / The Greatest Day In Your Life
- Exxon / Energy For A Strong America
- Prestone Anti-Freeze / You Know It Protects
- Midas Muffler / Don't Compromise, Midasize
- Anheuser Busch Natural Light [beer] / Won't Fill You Up, So It Won't Slow You Down
- Budweiser Beer / When You Say Budweiser?
- General Foods International Coffees / It's Our Flavor That Makes Us Special
- Sunbeam Bread / A Sunwich Is Better Than A Sandwich
- Salem Cigarettes / You Can Take Salem Out Of The Country, But...
- Southwestern Bell Telephone / What Else Is So Nice For The Price
- Anheuser Busch Natural Light [beer] / Take A Natural Break
- Michelob Beer / Weekend Pops (instrumental) - based upon "Weekends Were Made For Michelob"
- Jack in the Box [restaurants] / Ji-Ji-Jack, Ji-Ji-Jack—Jack In The Box
- Tic Tac / It's Time For A Tic Tac
- (Hershey Is) The Great American Chocolate Bar
- New York State Tourism / I Love New York
- Michelob Light / Good Taste Runs In The Family
- Beneficial Finance / That's What It's All About
- Ford, That's Incredible!
- Sunoco Is Making Every Drop Count
- Braniff International Airways / We Better Be Better
- Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer / Give That Man A Blue Ribbon
- "Freight Train" / "Mama Look A Boo Boo" - El Dorado 510 (1957)
- "Free Passes" / "Lost" - CUB 9059 (1960)
- "Breakaway" Part 1 / "Breakaway" Part 2 (Featuring Jimmy Radcliffe) - United Artists 50451 (1968)
- "Moments" / "Moments" instrumental - United Artists 50534 (1969)
- "What Do You Say To A Naked Lady ?" / "Too Bad You Can't Read My Mind" - United Artists 50636 (1970)
- "You've Said It All" (Four Reeling) / "You've Said It All" (Tuba Version) - Audio Fidelity 171 (1971)
- "Everybody Likes It" / "The East Way" - Audio Fidelity 179 (1971)
- "I've Never Had The Time" / "37-21" - Audio Fidelity (1972) 
- The Jingle Man (1980). Hal Leonard Corporation, ISBN 0-88188-239-9
- Through the Jingle Jungle (1989). Billboard Books, ISBN 0-8230-7707-1
- Me and Bobby D.: A Memoir (2003). Hal Leonard Corporation, ISBN 0-634-04876-7
- Who Killed the Jingle? - How a Unique American Art Form Disappeared (2005). Hal Leonard Corporation, ISBN 0-634-06656-0
- Me and Bobby D. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Me and Bobby D: A Memoir -Interview with Author Steve Karmen by Jordon Rich - BobbyDarin.net/BobbyDarin.com". Bobbydarin.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Steve Karmen - Me and Bobby D. - Book". Stagepass.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Jingle Sheet Music Folio Books". Classicthemes.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- [dead link]
- Goldmine Price Guide to 45 RPM Records By Tim Neely, Martin Popoff Page 380 Karmen, Steve
- Steve Karmen at the Internet Movie Database
- Exxon - Energy For A Strong America at the Wayback Machine (archived October 26, 2009)