This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Snug, Tasmania, Australia|
|Genres||Black metal, dark ambient, industrial (later work)|
|Years active||1994 – present|
Razed Soul Productions|
Finsternis Productions (Sin Nanna's own label)
Striborg is a black metal / ambient project of Australian musician Russell Menzies. The project first began in 1994 under the name Kathaaria and during this time the stage name "Vvelkaarn" was used. The name Kathaaria was adapted from a Darkthrone song titled "Kathaarian Life Code".
Three full-length albums were released as Kathaaria; one each year from 1995 to 1997. Following the release of the third album, Menzies grew dissatisfied with the direction of the project and the first album under the name "Striborg" was released later that year. With this change, he also adopted the new stage name "Sin Nanna".
Menzies' lyrics reveal a fascination with forests, darkness, night, misanthropy and death. The names "Striborg" and "Sin Nanna" are the names of a Slavonic wind god (of which the correct spelling is "Stribog") and Mesopotamian moon god, respectively.
- Sin Nanna – All instruments and vocals
Note: asterisk (*) indicates that the album has been re-released.
- 2003: A Tragic Journey... / Through the Forest...
- 2003: Isle de Morts / Cold Winter Moon
- 2003: Misanthropic Isolation / In the Heart of the Rainforest*
- 2003: Nocturnal Emissions / Nyctophobia*
- 2004: 10 Years of Roaming the Forests (94-04)
- 2006: Misanthropic Isolation - Roaming the Forests
- 2008: In the Heart of the Rainforest / Through the Forest to Spiritual Enlightenment
- 2016: Purifying the River of Tears
- 1995: A Tragic Journey Towards the Light (as Kathaaria)
- 1996: Through the Forest to Spiritual enlightenment (as Kathaaria)
- 1997: Isle de Morts (as Kathaaria)
- 1997: Cold Winter Moon
- 1998: Misanthropic Isolation*
- 2000: In the Heart of the Rainforest
- 2004: Spiritual Catharsis*
- 2004: Mysterious Semblance*
- 2005: Black Desolate Winter & Depressive Hibernation*
- 2005: Trepidation*
- 2006: Embittered Darkness
- 2006: Nefaria
- 2007: Ghostwoodlands
- 2007: Solitude
- 2008: Autumnal Melancholy
- 2008: Foreboding Silence
- 2008: Perceiving The World With Hate
- 2009: Southwest Passage
- 2015: This Suffocating Existence
- 2016: Spiritual Deprivation
- 2017: A Procession of Lost Souls
- 2017: Instrumental Trans-Communication
- 2018: Blackwave
- 2007: The Epitome of Misanthropy (with Xasthur)
- 2007: Psychedelic Nightmare (with Scurshahor)
- 2009: Florestas de Perpétua Solidão (with Defuntos)
- 2009: Black Hatred in a Ghostly Corner (with Claustrophobia)
- 2010: This Empty Coil (with Vardan)
- 2007: Journey of a Misanthrope
In May 2007 Sunn O))) did a Pacific Rim tour with a guest lineup consisting of Oren Ambarchi and Attila Csihar. However upon their arrival in Melbourne, Australia they joined with Sin Nanna for an improvisational performance. The makeshift group took up the name Pentemple and released one live album titled "0))) Presents...".
In June 2014 Sin Nanna performed live as Veil of Darkness for the first time supporting Sunn O))) as part of the Dark MOFO festival. He also played an unannounced set as Striborg on the final night of the festival.
Until 2010, contact with Sin Nanna has been limited to online interviews on various blogs and fanzine sites conducted via email. Despite Sin Nanna's very anti social and misanthropic view of society, he agreed to take part in the 2010 Vice documentary One Man Metal, in which he further proved his eccentric lifestyle.
- Official Striborg book: Striborg - Music, Art and Lyrics
|This article on a heavy metal musician or group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|