Subhasish Dey in IIT Kharagpur
|Born||1958 (age 56–57)
Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, India
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur|
|Alma mater||University of North Bengal
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
|Doctoral advisor||Sujit K Bose and GLN Sastry|
|Known for||Contributions to Hydraulics|
Subhasish Dey (Bengali: শুভাশীষ েদ; born 1958) is a hydraulician and educator. He is known for his research on the hydrodynamics throughout the world and acclaimed for his contributions in developing theories and solution methodologies of various problems on hydrodynamics, turbulence, boundary layer, sediment transport and open channel flow. Presently, he is engaged in research on turbulence characteristics over sediment beds and other turbulence related problems. He is currently a Professor, Head and Brahmaputra Chair Professor of the Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. He also holds an Adjunct Professor position in the Physics and Applied Mathematics Unit at Indian Statistical Institute Kolkata.
Dey is an associate editor of Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Journal of Hydraulic Research, Sedimentology, Acta Geophysica, Journal of Hydro-Environment Research, International Journal of Sediment Research and Journal of Numerical Mathematics and Stochastics.
Dey was born to Bimalendu Dey (father) and Kana Dey (mother) in Jalpaiguri town, West Bengal, India in 1958. In 1987, he married Swastika Dey (née Talukdar); and they have a son, Sibasish, and a daughter, Sagarika.
Dey received B.E. degree in civil engineering from the University of North Bengal in 1981, MTech degree in water resources engineering and PhD degree in hydraulic engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1984 and 1992, respectively.
He started his professional career as a faculty of the National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, where he taught fluid mechanics and hydraulics from 1984 to 1998. Then, he joined as a faculty of the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1998.
Dey has offered courses on turbulent flow, sediment transport and scour in different universities of various countries, such as the University of Hong Kong, Università di Pisa, University of Calabria, Politecnico di Milano, University of Florence, University of Oulu, Instituto Superior Técnico, National Chung Hsing University etc.
Dey has become a fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc), The National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc) and Indian National Academy of Engineering (FNAE). He served as a council member of the World Association for Sedimentation and Erosion Research (WASER), Beijing during 2011–2013. He is a member of IAHR Fluvial Hydraulics Committee.
Dey authored a book entitled Fluvial Hydrodynamics: Hydrodynamic and Sediment Transport Phenomena (Springer, 2014).
He has developed various theories of hydrodynamics. In turbulence, he developed universal probability density function for turbulent velocity fluctuations, Reynolds stress and conditional Reynolds shear stresses in wall-shear flows. In fluvial hydraulics, he has contributed fundamental theories of sediment thresholds (also known as initiation of motion), discovered existence of negative hydrodynamic lift and non-universality of von Kármán constant. He has made pioneering contributions to the mechanism of scour at hydraulic structures. Besides, he has developed theories of secondary boundary layer in curved pipes, wall jets, seeping bed flows and turbulent bursting etc.
- Dey, S. (2014). Fluvial Hydrodynamics: Hydrodynamic and Sediment Transport Phenomena. Springer. ISBN 978-3-642-19061-2.
- Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Kharagpur (Faculty Directory)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Physics and Applied Mathematics Unit
- Indian Statistical Institute Kolkata
- Journal of Hydraulic Engineering
- Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Editorial Board
- Journal of Hydraulic Research
- Journal of Hydraulic Research, Editorial Board
- Sedimentology, Editorial Board
- Acta Geophysica
- Acta Geophysica, Editorial Board
- Acta Geophysica, Editorial Board (Springer)
- Journal of Hydro-environment Research (Elsevier)
- Journal of Hydro-environment Research, Editorial Board (Elsevier)
- International Journal of Sediment Research (Elsevier)
- Journal of Numerical Mathematics and Stochastics
- Marquis Who's Who
- INAE Fellow
- Council of WASER
- S. K. Bose and S. Dey (2007). "Theory of free surface flow over rough seeping beds". Proceedings of Royal Society A, London, UK, Vol. 463, No. February, 369–383.
- S. K. Bose and S. Dey (2009). "Reynolds averaged theory of turbulent shear flow over undulating beds and formation of sand waves". Physical Review E, The American Physical Society, Vol. 80, 036304.
- S. K. Bose and S. Dey (2010). "Universal probability distributions of turbulence in open channel flows". Journal of Hydraulic Research, International Association for Hydraulic Research (IAHR), Vol. 48, No. 3, 388–394.
- S. Dey (1999). "Sediment threshold". Applied Mathematical Modelling, Elsevier, Vol. 23, No. 5, 399–417.
- S. Dey (2002). "Secondary boundary layer and wall shear for fully developed flow in curved pipes". Proceedings of Royal Society A, London, UK, Vol. 458, No. February, 283–294.
- S. Dey, S. K. Bose and G. L. N. Sastry (1995). "Clear water scour at circular piers: a model". Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Vol. 121, No. 12, 869–876.
- S. Dey, T. K. Nath and S. K. Bose (2010). "Submerged wall-jets subjected to injection and suction from the wall". Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, UK, Vol. 653, 57–97.
- S. Dey and R. Das (2012). "Gravel-bed hydrodynamics: A double-averaging approach". Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Vol. 138, No. 8, 707–725
- S. Dey, S. Sarkar and F. Ballio (2011). "Double-averaging turbulence characteristics in seeping rough-bed streams". Journal of Geophysical Research, Earth Surface, American Geophysical Union, Vol. 116, F03020, doi:10.1029/2010JF001832
- S. Dey and A. Sarkar (2006). "Response of velocity and turbulence in submerged wall jets to abrupt changes from smooth to rough beds and its application to scour downstream of an apron". Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, UK, Vol. 556, 387–419.
- R. Gaudio, R. Miglio and S. Dey (2010). "Nonuniversality of von Kármán’s κ in fluvial streams". Journal of Hydraulic Research, International Association for Hydraulic Research (IAHR), Vol. 48, No. 5, 658–663.