|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sullurupeta is a town in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is a municipality and also the mandal headquarters of Sullurpeta mandal. It serves as a gateway to Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
The origin of name "Sullurupeta" came from Telugu words "Sullu" meaning rounds or circles and "peta" meaning town.
Sullurupeta is located in Nellore District in Andhra Pradesh about 83 km north of Chennai. It has an average elevation of 11 meters (39 feet). It has excellent rail and road connectivity to Chennai , Tirupati and Nellore. It is 100 km (62 mi) from Nellore. It is 80 km (50 mi) from Tirupati.Sriharikota is about 17 km from Sullurpeta, it houses the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.Sullurpeta is at a distance of 12 km (7.5 mi) from Sricity which is a developing satellite city in the border between Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
As of 2011[update] Census of India, Sullurpeta had a population of 27,504. The total population constitute, 12,955 males and 14,549 females —a sex ratio of 1123 females per 1000 males. 2,612 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 1,330 are boys and 1,282 are girls —a ratio of 964 per 1000. The average literacy rate stands at 83.64% with 20,819 literates, significantly higher than the state average of 67.41%.
Sullurupeta is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. It is a reserved constituency.
List of Elected Members:
- 1962 - Pasupuleti Siddaiah Naidu
- 1967 - 1972 and 1978 - Pitla Venkata Subbaiah
- 1983 - Satti Prakasham
- 1985 - Madanambeti Manaiah
- 1989 - Pasala Penchalaiah
- 1994 and 1999 - Parasa Venkata Ratnaiah
- 2004 - Nelavala Subhramanyam
- 2009 - Parasa Venkata Ratnaiah
- 2014 - Sanjeevaiah Kiliveti
Satish Dhawan Space Center, SHAR located 17 km (11 mi) from Sullurpeta, is an Indian Space Research Agency. Chengalamma Temple is the abode of Goddess Chengalamma Parameswari, manifested herself in the village on the bank of the Kanlangi river. Mannar Poluru is a village in Sullurpeta municipality, famous for temples Allugu Mannaru Krishna Swamy Temple, Santhaneswara Temple, etc. Allugu Mannaru Krishna Swamy Temple, 3 km from Sullurpeta, is the abode of Lord Krishna, only temple in India dedicated to Jambavthi, Sathyabhama and Krishna. Nelapattu is a small village, located 10 km of the town of Sullurpeta is famous for the Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Revenue Setup". Official website of Sri Potti Sri Ramulu Nellore District. National Informatics Centre. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Sullurpet to get facelift at Rs 12 crore". The New Indian Express (Nellore). 31 December 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Literacy of AP (Census 2011)" (PDF). Official Portal of Andhra Pradesh Government. p. 43. Retrieved 16 September 2014.