|Sunny Joseph, ISC|
October 12, 1957 |
|Years active||1983- present|
|Children||Anil sunny, Aparna sunny|
Sunny Joseph, ISC (born October 12, 1957) is an Indian cinematographer and director from Kerala, most known for his work in Shaji N. Karun classic, Piravi, for which he won the 1988 Kerala State Film Award for Best Photography. He has Post Graduate Diploma in Cinematography from the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune. He is also the General Secretary of Indian Society of Cinematographers, (ISC).
Early life and education
Born in 1957 in Kerala to CV Joseph and Thressiamma, he grew up in the household of two brothers including a twin, and six sisters. Joseph did his P.D.C. from St. Michael's College, Cherthala (Kerala University) in Alappuzha district in 1974, followed by B.Sc. in Zoology from Deva Matha College, Kuravilangad (Mahatma Gandhi University), in the Kottayam district of Kerala in 1977. He joined the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune in 1979, where he did a Diploma in Cinema, specializing in Motion Picture Photography which he completed in 1983.
After graduating from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune in 1983, Sunny Joseph started working as a cinematographer in 1987. Piravi the film which he photographed for Shaji N. Karun became a landmark in Indian Cinema.
In 2002, Sunny assisted veteran cinematographer and Adoor Gopalakrishnan long-time collaborator, Mankada Ravi Varma, in his last work, Nizhalkuthu (2002) and eventually shot many scenes in the film for which Sunny is credited alongside Mankada Ravi Varma.
- Theertham (1987)
- Piravi (1988)
- Ore Thooval Pakshikal (1988)
- Eenam Maranna Kattu (1988)
- Unni (1989)
- Pooram (1989)
- Alicinte Anveshanam (1989)
- Ottayal Pattalam (1990)
- Ottayadipathakal (1990)
- Kshanakathu (1990
- Vasthuhara (1991)
- Aanaval Mothiram (1991)
- Satyaprathinja (1991)
- Mangamma (1997)
- America America (1995)
- Mogamul (1995)
- Daya (1998)
- Train to Pakistan (1998)
- Oru Cheru Punchiri (2000)
- Nizhalkuthu (2002)
- Dance Like A Man (2003)
- Oru Cheru Punchiri
- Ami, Yasin Ar Amar Madhubala (2007)
- Chintu Ji
- O Maria (2011)
- Ramanujan (2014)
- "Life Members". ISC website. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Monsoon vignettes". The Hindu. June 20, 2008. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Citation". National Film Archive of India. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "ISC participates in the 1st International Congress on Authorship Rights of Cinematographers in Huelva, Spain - 2004". ISC website. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "About Me". Cheruvallikattu.com. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Painting with light". The Hindu. September 7, 2007. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Indian cinematographer Varma dies: He worked on Adoor Gopalakrishnan's films". Variety (magazine). November 24, 2010. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- Official website
- Sunny Joseph at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Sunny Joseph -Cinematographer
|This biographical article related to film in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|