Sven Erik Kristiansen
Sven Erik Kristiansen
Maniac live with Mayhem in 2004
|Birth name||Sven Erik Kristiansen|
|Also known as||Maniac|
|Born||4 February 1969|
|Genres||Black metal, doom metal, hardcore punk, noise, dark ambient|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass|
|Associated acts||Mayhem, Skitliv, Shining, Bomberos, Wurdulak, Sehnsucht|
Kristiansen joined Mayhem in 1986 after the departure of the band's original vocalist Messiah and left in 1988, when he was replaced by Kittil. When Hellhammer decided to revive Mayhem in 1995 after the deaths of both Euronymous and Dead and the imprisonment of Count Grishnakh, he invited Maniac to return as the band's vocalist.
He was known for giving extremely intense live performances and would often cut himself onstage, frequently landing him in intensive care units. However, in a later interview Kristiansen stated "...when we realized that the cutting had become a phenomenon people came to watch, I quit doing it." He has also stated that the coverage Mayhem has received is disproportionate.
Kristiansen was in the band until 2004 when he was asked to leave due to his erratic behavior. In the only press release about the split, he also cited lack of time as being a vital factor. In 2016 Kristensen briefly rejoined Mayhem onstage during the Inferno Festival in Oslo, Norway.
Kristiansen has three children: a daughter with his wife, Eri Isaka (aka Vivian Slaughter), a son with his ex-girlfriend, Hilma, and a daughter from a previous relationship. He has said that since he became a father, he has become more conscious of what he exposes himself to and is less destructive.
For several years, Kristiansen was a self-admitted alcoholic. According to him, the turning point was one day when he found himself hanging by one arm out of a fourth floor window, with no idea how he got there. He is married to Vivian Slaughter, bassist and vocalist for the Japanese band Gallhammer.
- "Maniac - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". www.metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Moore, Bruce. "Interview with Skitliv frontman Sven Erik "Maniac" Kristiansen". puregrainaudio.com. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Hammer, Jonathan Selzer2017-10-25T13:58:00 297Z Metal. "Ex-Mayhem/Skitliv frontman Maniac resurrects his seminal Damage Inc fanzine". Metal Hammer Magazine. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Mic Norway Maniac: My last years with Mayhem; retrieved September 11, 2008.
- "Maniac: My last years with Mayhem (Part 2) - Listen to Norway". www.listento.no. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- "MAYHEM Bassist Says Former Singer MANIAC 'F*cked It All Up In The End'". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2006-01-16. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "MAYHEM Rejoined By Two Former Vocalists And A Former Drummer Live - Metal Injection". Metal Injection. 2016-03-28. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- "Maniac: My last years with Mayhem (Part 2) - Listen to Norway". www.listento.no (in Dutch). Retrieved 2017-05-31.