Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's 200 metre individual medley
|Men's 200 metre individual medley|
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
Medalists of the event
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
|Date||August 1, 2012 (heats &|
August 2, 2012 (final)
|Competitors||36 from 27 nations|
|Swimming at the|
2012 Summer Olympics
Adding to an unprecedented medal tally to become the most decorated Olympian of all time, Michael Phelps made another milestone as the first male swimmer ever to defend his third straight Olympic title in the same individual event with a touch-out triumph over Ryan Lochte. Dominating the race from the start, Phelps held off a final showdown from Lochte on the freestyle leg to claim his sixteenth gold and twentieth career medal in 1:54.27. Meanwhile, Lochte came up short in the other half of a difficult double, as he produced his eleventh overall for the silver in 1:54.90, tying an all-time record with Mark Spitz and Matt Biondi. Hungary's László Cseh powered home with the bronze in 1:56.22 to keep the podium intact for the second straight Games.
Brazil's Thiago Pereira finished fourth in 1:56.74, and was followed in fifth and sixth by Japanese duo Kosuke Hagino (1:57.35) and Ken Takakuwa (1:58.53). Great Britain's James Goddard (1:59.05) and Germany's Markus Deibler (1:59.10) also vied for an Olympic medal to round out the historic finale.
Earlier in the semifinals, South Africa's Chad le Clos also earned a spot for the championship final, but later scratched to focus on the 100 m butterfly, allowing Deibler to join the roster. Meanwhile, Austria's Markus Rogan, double silver medalist and four-time Olympian, was disqualified for an illegal dolphin kick after a technical turn from backstroke to breaststroke.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Ryan Lochte (USA)||1:54.00||Shanghai, China||28 July 2011|
|Olympic record||Michael Phelps (USA)||1:54.23||Beijing, China||15 August 2008|
|1||4||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:56.13||Q|
|2||5||Michael Phelps||United States||1:57.11||Q|
|3||3||James Goddard||Great Britain||1:58.49||Q|
|5||7||Chad le Clos||South Africa||1:58.49||Q, WD|
|7||8||Joe Roebuck||Great Britain||1:59.57|
|3||Michael Phelps||United States||1:54.27|
|4||Ryan Lochte||United States||1:54.90|
|7||1||James Goddard||Great Britain||1:59.05|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules". London 2012. NBC Olympics. 31 July 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Michael Phelps wins 200 IM for record 16th Olympic gold; Ryan Lochte takes silver". CBS News. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Abrahamson, Alan (2 August 2012). "200m IM performance proves Phelps still is The Man". London 2012. NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 11 July 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Brady, Erik (2 August 2012). "Michael Phelps' latest feat: Historic three-peat". USA Today. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Phelps makes Olympic history with another gold". France24. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: Michael Phelps First Man To Threepeat Event in 200 IM; Earns Astonishing 20th Olympic Medal, 16th Gold; Ryan Lochte Earns 11th Medal With Silver Finish; Laszlo Cseh Third". Swimming World Magazine. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Swimmers Irie, Suzuki add silver to Japan's medal count". The Japan Times. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Swimming: Stockport ace James Goddard not yet finished despite failing once again to claim medal". Manchester Evening News. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: Ryan Lochte, Laszlo Cseh, Michael Phelps 1-2-3 in 200 IM Semis; Markus Rogan DQ Likely Means End of Career". Swimming World Magazine. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Austrian swim hopeful Rogan disqualified". Austrian Times. 2 August 2012. Archived from the original on 19 June 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Ryan Lochte sets world record in 200 IM". ESPN. 28 July 2011. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "FINA World Championships, Swimming: Ryan Lochte Sets First Post Techsuit-Era World Record". Swimming World Magazine. 28 July 2011. Archived from the original on 16 September 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Crouse, Karen (15 August 2008). "Phelps Moves 200 Meters Closer to His Goal". New York Times. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Men's 200m Individual Medley – Heats". London 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2012.